1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not strictly speaking

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by telecom69, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Hi there,only indirectly connected with computing,can anyone tell me what exactly is a cd-m,and the difference between that and a cd-r? would a[ppreciate any help on this ..... ;)

2. pvc9

pvc9

Hi telecom,
    I might be 101% wrong :D

CD-M - Music CDs
    CD-R - Recordable CDs

I'm just curious...where did you see/hear...that term?

3. telecom69

hi there pvc,hope you had a nice Christmas,and thanks for replying to my query,actually its stamped on some discs that have copied dvd films on,there are two discs to each film,and they belong to a family member who was having problems getting them to play on her dvd player,it kept coming up with the message "incorrect format",they did however play on my computer ok.the reason I asked the question, was that I wondered if the M stood for movies perhaps? it was actually stamped into the disc,not just written on,anyway there you have the story lol, se you soon ;)

4. mal1930

mal1930

HI, I don't know much about DVD but don't they have a range of regions and some are good some places and others not. Just thought I read it somewhere. Peace Mal

5. telecom69

Hi Mal,your right about the regions,know about that,this here is region 2,its not that however,as these dvd's play on other players ok,but not on the one in question,althogh in the blurb for it,its saying they should,can only be a fault on th particular machine I would think now,it plays others ok,just these marked cd-m wont play,hence the question,thanks for the reply anyway... ;)

6. theporg

theporg

telecom69

I have no idea what the CD R or CDM mean but there is a reason why the discs do not work. To try and keep it simple a DVD when it is copied on a computer is converted to a different format. When a single DVD is copied it is 'Ripped' converted to another format and then resaved to ordinary CD Roms. A DVD has far more storage area than an ordinary CD ROM which is why you end up with more discs than the original DVD. These ripped disks will usually work on a computer. To use in a DVD you will need one which recognises CVD as well as DVD. Some DVD machines will others will not.

The region thing is a different matter. There are several regions. We are region 2. America is I belive region 1. A DVD will be released in the USA before the UK. This is to prevent an enterprising person bringing the USA DVD home from holiday to play in the UK. Region one and Region 2 not being compatible. The thinking being they will get more dosh by selling it twice in different regions.

It is possible to change your DVD to read all regions.

Hope this helps. Happy new Year:D

7. telecom69

Hi theporg,thanks for your reply,it explains it all very well,I sort of guessed it had to be the player not being able to recognise the dvd's,you have confirmed that .....cd-r by the way means,compact disc recordable ..... ;)

Happy New Year to you and yours too ......

8. theporg

theporg

Glad to help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/110138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice