1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Sure I Can Do This By Myself

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by RowdyB18, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RowdyB18

RowdyB18 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rowdy
    I have an HP Pavilion - 15-ab165us (ENERGY STAR) User Guide - Windows 8.1 When I first purchased this computer, I th0ught I had correctly saved the recovery on a flash drive. My hard drive died. I bought a solid state drive and was going to use the recovery that I thought I had saved on flash drive. Apparently, I did not save it correctly. Obviously, I do not know much about computers. I have looked up dozens of ways to repair my computer. I can follow so far, but then I just get lost in some of the terminology of what the guides or even You Tube videos are telling me what to do. Do I just download the Operating system on a flash drive and install it? But, I would think I need to put the HP programs on there as well? Is there a step by simple step guide that is available for this? I know that is probably a stupid question, but, I keep getting stuck in what the directions are instructing me to do. Mostly due to the terminology. A lot of the times the directions are worded assuming that the reader has a lot of computer knowledge. I would be happy for a "Guide to Repairing Laptops for Dummies." It's very frustrating. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2017
  2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is the support site for your HP Pavilion 15-ab165us Notebook PC (N5R42UA)

According to its specifications and driver downloads sections, it came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit and has driver support only for Windows 10 64-bit.

HERE is the HP support website where you can purchase the Windows 10 64-bit system recovery kit for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the very first sentence of your comments, you say your HP notebook has Windows 8.1.
    Are you sure of that?

Advise us what the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) is that's on it so we can confirm its identity and confirm which Windows version came in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    cwwozniak likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!