1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not sure, i need help with activation of xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bettybakebake, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bettybakebake

bettybakebake Thread Starter

I think I am on the verge of this being not allowed but I do have a problem. I have a rebuilt compaq thta is supposed to have a windows vista but I preferred the xp and had a problem with viruses so did numerous reinstalls of my xp with no issues. But I did not get completely rid of my virus so had it professionally reformated.

when he brought it back, he brought back my disks and said he did not use my disks but i should just go ahead and activate during the next five days. I have tried repeatedly to activate but I don't get approved. the telephone system is just a electronic voice and when i put in that other code they say that is no good.

No i did check my code with the magic jelly bean and I do have the right code and it is registered to me but it is xp and not the vista that was with this machine and what is on the case.

So does anyone know of a phone number where I can reach microsoft without paying a fee or do i need to get the vista activated and then go back to xp or something.

I also have microsoft office from my daughters online school and it would not accept that key either and in fact i can't get the puter to look at anything from the cd drive. I do have a work around for getting online but i am unable to access my hard drive and am only able to do online stuff. I need to access my puter.

any ideas would be appreciated. i do have a couple bids in for the windows 7 on ebay but am afraid to do the upgrade cause i am afraid it wont work cause of this non activation. Do maybe i just need to buy a new vista with all new codes? is htat the only way? thanks

michele

i did download lunix but i can't access it from my puter as the start button does not appear and nothing shows on my desktop and i can't get any of the f keys to work, even if i get it to boot from the cd it won't access the cd at all for me to put in another operating system. i am just stuck. and the puter guy is not answering me.

m

and there is these sites that have os for download it seems like up and up kind of site. the vista was 70 dollars that seemed about right. But if I do that and it does not match the vista number on my hard case will it still not activate? they were called soft great dot com seemed legit.

2. bob6715

bob6715

do yourself a favor and get windows 7 family pack (3 comps for 1 price if still available) else buy professional, windows wont support XP much longer and 7 really is the way to go. itwill save all your old XP stuff in the C drive as windows old, even with a clean install, so you can look thru and re-install what you might need or recognize as need long as you have the original install programs, if you need additional help email me at [email protected]
    good luck

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have XP installed now and a valid XP product key that is not being used, change the product key on the computer and activate.

Activation of one OS has nothing to do with activation of another, so activating Vista would have no effect on XP.

(The site you mentioned is most likely not legit, though it's possible. You could just end up with a new DVD that also would not activate, and an illegal copy of Windows.)

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If you want to put in windows 7 make sure theres drivers for your model of computer and that it can be upgraded otherwise you are just wasting your money.I would also be very careful about buying any operating system from ebay. You just never know if its a valid and legit COA sticker and product key thats never been used.I dont know who worked on your computer but if the work was done right you shouldnt be having problems activating xp.but do as was advised above to activate it.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

SUEOHIO has made a very good point. If you paid someone to work on that machine, it should have activated normally as they advised you. If they are a legitimate business, they should be responsible for making it right and you shouldn't be spending any more money to fix what they did not do right in the first place. Go back and make some noise. :D

6. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

You probably had a Compaq branded XP cd and the computer shop has a generic XP cd.
    Your serial generally wont work using a non compaq (same for Dell) cd.
    Microsoft may or may not help. Easiest to stick with the branded cd for reinstalls on big box computers.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im guessing they didnt use her disks at all nor her product code.More than likely they used a copy of xp with a volume license key which if i understand correctly is to only be used for your own personal use or if you own a business and have a lot of computers and its used that way.To use a VLK on a computer that isnt yours or that you dont own to me sounds like its being used other than its intended purpose.Years ago i bought a used dell desktop computer which unknown to me at the time had a copy of windows xp in it which the product code was a VLK from the school it originally came from. When i went to activate it, it didnt.Why on earth a clean install wasnt done and why they didnt use a dell branded copy of windows xp pro which wouldnt of needed activated is beyond me.Needless to say they arent in business anymore.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

If your Compaq machine is licensed for XP go here;

http://www.computersurgeons.com/

Input your model number and you can get a set of recovery discs for the machine that will bring it back to original configuration. You wlll then not even need to activate. The last time I purchased from them the price was $27 for a set of recovery discs + a few dollars shipping.

9. bettybakebake

Hi, thanks for all the great responses. But I was not clear but not sure if it makes any difference. I put in the xp from my own disks, I bought windows xp professional with unlimited installs when I owned my own real estate business. I paid a lot for it but it has been worth it totally.

This machine came with vista but i have never used vista on this machine only the xp.

i can't get the cd drive accessed with this machine at all, won't boot from anything, just asks for the activation code.

So I've been trying to find a way to activate this machine and then do an upgrade or reinstall of vista or 7. I do think it is time for 7, I agree. I just was used to xp and i have these disks that have served me well over the years.

do i have to reformat again? does anyone have a number for microsoft so they can give me the correct override authorization code so my machine will unlock? Even if I buy new disks will this machine suddenly start recognizing the cd drive? I have been trying to do an install with MY xp disks.

thanks for all the good advice.

michele

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Nothing from Microsoft is needed or will help you to install Vista or 7. Booting from the DVD has nothing to do with Windows or Microsoft. You boot from the DVD and then start setup. Removing current partitions and creating a new one is all part of setup.

Do you get the "Press Any Key..." prompt when you boot from DVD? If not, you may need to enter your BIOS setup at boot time and set the boot priority so that the optical drive is first and the hard drive further down on the list.

11. bettybakebake

no i get nothing actually happening. I do get the message about boot from where and it does have the cd drive highlighted but from there nothing happens. it does not read the cd at all. i have my real copy of windows xp in the cd drive, I tried the vista disks that are the true operating part of this machine but it did not recognize them either.

that is why i was hoping that in the activation window if i put in the code that the machine wants i can access my puter. right now i can't.

thanks again for your time, i very much appreciate you expertise.

michele

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    It sounds like there is a problem with the cd drive.If the disks arent bad then the drive might have to be replaced.If you have used the xp COA sticker product code previously on another computer that might be why you are having activation problems in addition to a failing cd drive.If by some chance you are using the vista product code that came with the computer you have now even though its never been used thats not going to activate either.I think you are going to have to get another copy of windows xp with a valid COA sticker and product code and maybe get the cd drive replaced and then you should be able to proceed without anymore problems.

13. bettybakebake

Well I just give up. What do the kids say?? Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

I called the puter guy he is picking it up tonight and putting windows 7 on it. He says it is a virus.....

So thanks for all your time and input. I very much appreciate everyones time and thoughts. I am sorry to have bothered you. I just thought if I could talk to microsoft I could get this resolved. But I never did find an actual person to talk to and give my code key to for telephone activation.

Michele

14. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Its never a bother.We are all here to learn and help each other.It could well be a virus but it sounds like a bad cd drive to me for openers.I hope an upgrade has been done to see if this computer can run windows 7.If not your choices will be either xp or vista.I dont know who is doing the work on the computer for you but if it was me id be getting a second opinion.You just got it back supposedly virus free and it has more viruses already?Im seriously wondering what level of experience this person has with computer repair.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice