1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not sure if my MB supports IDE/SATA. Details of MB inside

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xfer, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfer

xfer Thread Starter

I currently already has 2 hard disks, wanting to purchase another one online. Firstly, its a SATA hard disk, so im not sure if my MB supports only IDE, or SATA.

Secondly, is there any other compatibility issue apart from IDE/SATA? Looking for a 400gb Internal Hard disk.

Key Features:

Size: 3.5 inches
    Capacities: 400 GB
    Speed: 7,200 RPM
    Interfaces: SATA 1.5 GB/s
    ATA-133
    Seek Time: 8.5 ms

Detailed information in a pdf file can be found here :

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/073BA9EA10DAACCD86256E46005C5B7E/$file/7K400_DS_final.pdf

Please advice =)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The links you provided to your motherboard do not work. The matsonic site is just about useless since the manual for your board will not download either.

Open the case and look to see if you have sata connectors on the board; that would be the easiest way to find out.

If you do not, a sata controller card is an option. They are not too expensive; around $35 or so for a decent one.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. xfer

xfer Thread Starter

Oh, ok. So i'll need to get a SATA cable to plug into my IDE port?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

NO. If you do not have sata on the board, you need to buy a controller card and install that. Once the card is installed and operating correctly, connect your sata hd to the card. Partition and format the drive; windows will assign the next drive letter to the drive.

6. xfer

xfer Thread Starter

Does the controller card slot into my IDE port?

Currently, both are used up, so that means i can only have 2 HD at any one time?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, the controller card is installed into a pci [usually white] slot on your board. The card looks something like this promise card Note this one has an ide port also giving you another ide as well as two sata ports.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/575323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice