Not sure if this belongs to this section of the forum...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

preciseman

Hey guys.

So I bought a MSI-A6200 Model around July of last year, and when I booted up today, it would give me the PXE-E61 Media-Test Failure, check cable error. However, this error would only display for about 3-4 seconds, then it would just boot up normally (I would be able to access all my files, do my daily routine, etc).

However, I was looking for a fix (even though the computer still worked) and I was told to change the boot sequence, with the SATA Hard Drive before the network.

My boot sequence: CD-Drive, Hard Drive, Network.

It was originally: CD-Drive, Network, Hard Drive -- This was the order when the error message was displayed.

That seemed to do the trick, as the error message is completely gone at this point.

What I'm worried about is why I got the message in the first place. Is this something I should be worried about in the future? My warranty will expire in about 6 weeks or so, should I be worried and send it in for them to check it out?

Or is it something that is completely fixed and I shouldn't worry about it anymore?

THANKS GUYS!

Should be fine, pxe is used to boot onto the network. Tries to locate an image on a server which you don't have.

Yes, all others are correct. Change the startup ORDER in the Bios (F11 I think when it starts up). I have SATA HDD 1st, then CD, then I disabled the Network connect (can undisable it later if needed). I do have the same computer as you - and I did recall reading a prob similar to this due to a loose HDD cable or even defective HDD cable. With my a6200 I do occasionally get a clicking noise which I believe may come from this loose cable connector - it goes away in 2 min or so...perhaps this changes the bios (if the connector is loose?). Ideas guys?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
PXE is another way a computer can boot up. This is common with thin client machines I believe. Because Network was before hard drive, the motherboard was trying to use the PXE boot up, but since you don't have PXE service/server, it would error out and then continue to the hard drive boot up instead.

Personally CD-ROM / Hard Drive should be the preferred boot up method. If there is another option, put it last.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes, all others are correct. Change the startup ORDER in the Bios (F11 I think when it starts up). I have SATA HDD 1st, then CD, then I disabled the Network connect (can undisable it later if needed). I do have the same computer as you - and I did recall reading a prob similar to this due to a loose HDD cable or even defective HDD cable. With my a6200 I do occasionally get a clicking noise which I believe may come from this loose cable connector - it goes away in 2 min or so...perhaps this changes the bios (if the connector is loose?). Ideas guys?
Hard drives make that noise... make sure it's not that because if it is, then your drive may be going bad.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts