1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brlailea, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

I purchased 2k for my computer a few months back and installed it on a compaq 7478.

A few weeks ago my computer started doing VERY wierd things.
    you will be fine then out of no where the computer blue screens reboots then when it reboots it says non_accessible_boot_device.

Sometimes it boots and goes straight into windows and sometimes it just keeps saying inaccessible boot device. I thought it was a heat related problem so I removed the case from the computer and it ran fine for a few minutes then it started the same routine.

I reformatted the hard drive and did a low-level format and reinstalled windows.

That didn't seem to help the problem because it still occurs but at random times.

Any suggestions?? If you need anymore information please let me know

2. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

I forgot to state that I ran burn-in tests v 2.2 on the computer and the program stated that it passed and before I did the low level format on the hdd I ran the western digital diagnostic software on it and it stated that I didnt' have any problems and it passed both the basic and the extended test with no error codes.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

To be honest I don't have a clue. There are, however, quite a few 'hits' for "inaccessible_boot_device" on the MS KB....

To view them you will have to go here...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo

... select "all microsoft products" and enter inaccessible_boot_device as the key words.

There are several related to having Iomega tools installed. Others relate to IDE drivers. Also if you've done a format you want to make sure you reinstall the motherboard drivers for your board if any special ones are required. See the vendor to determine that.

4. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

Thanks looking into that now :)

This computer is extremely evil LMAO

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome; do let us know if you find anything that applies or otherwise solves the problem

6. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

None of those things applied to this evil, possessed computer.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated though and Rog thanks for your suggestion :D

Cynthia

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, this is a somewhat similar issue they've addressed in XP, since the Operating systems are similar I would imagine it could apply to 2k as well.

As you have done a 'low level' format, I cannot see how the integity of the file system itself could be the source, but it probably won't hurt to run chkdsk /r on it anyway as well as fixboot.

More likely it is a hardware issue of some kind. Perhaps the wrong kind of cable, bad cable, or cables not seated correctly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297185

8. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

I did what was suggested in the article directly above and changed the cable. Problem still occured. I tried the checkdisk option and problem still occured and I also tried the fix boot.

I wonder what could be the problem :confused:

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

I checked into those sites and either they didnt' apply to my computer or the suggestions didn't work. are there any other good diagnostic programs out there that I could try out and test this bad machine? I have tried burn in tests v 2.2.

Thanks in advance,
    Cynthia

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

"burnin test 2.2" ? That sounds like a ram test.

There are some online tests at www.pcpitstop.com but I don't they they will answer anything.. I have also heard good things about this, but never used it myself (aida32):

http://www.sofotex.com/download/software/9326.html

A couple of users liked it but said to watch out and not doubleclick any installed program or it will try to uninstall it.

I'd like to have a gander at your IRQ information, would you run msinfo32 and display the IRQ info under Hardware environment -- then click Edit>Select All>Edit>Copy and paste the copied text to a reply here.

I'm also going to move this to the hardware forum so the folks there can have a look before the thread gets too long. I'll check back there.

12. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

Well I didnt' find edit or anything to copy my irq's but I am attaching a text file with my irq information for you and thanks for those sites I am venturing there now. Burn in tests checks video and runs burn in tests on all hardware on your computer.

Attached Files:

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Man what a mess on IRQ 11. I'm not sure what to tell you, but you need to get that sorted out. The ethernet card, modem and sound card are all there with the VIA USB Host controller. The odd thing, besides having two of them, is that the IDE controllers are not identified as VIA. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Can you provide your motherboard model?

You are probably going to have to shuffle some cards with respect to slots and perhaps reinstall BUS and IDE drivers.

I hope others will pitch in here, cause frankly I may be a little out of my usual tree.

14. Brlailea

Brlailea Thread Starter

umm I don't know the motherboard model. Its a Compaq 7478
    If you need the serial number I will PM it to you.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is this your model here?

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_result.asp?Model=3312&Os=93

I really can't see what I want there, but I do have the strong feeling that you didn't get the proper drivers loaded for the Controllers after you wiped the disk and upgraded.

You really need someone with specialized Compaq knowledge to know what happens when you do that. I do see there is a BIOS ROM paq update there, but I'm not going to suggest you go for it as you could end up with an unbootable system if there is a problem.

For now I'd try to get those IRQ conflicts eliminated by trying a different slot for the Ethernet card, or removing it if you are not using it. The Sound Card might bear moving as well.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice