1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not sure on this?? anyone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by play1998, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. play1998

play1998 Thread Starter

well i got an old test computer p2 400 with an abit board on it pc100 ram, i bought a 512 pc133 ram chip and in installed it in that bad boy and it saw but only 128 of it :( now even though its 133 shoulden't it be backwards compatible and should work on that board at pc100 and the worst case it should be not read it but its only reading 128 of it, is it cuz the board is not 133 or cuz the ram chip could be bad ??? and also it can hold up to 1g so i see why it can't see the hole stick :(

has someone heard of this before lol or tried this before

thanks

Ed

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Some 100mgz boards have problems with 133mgz ram but most are ok with it. Anyway, have you tried it in different slots to see what happens? If not, I'd try that.

Also, I assume you don't have the PC100 stick still installed but if you do, remove it.

3. play1998

play1998 Thread Starter

no i tried just by it self i treid different slot still no work , damn i wish i had another comp but i don't it fried lol hahahah ok well i think i might just buy a mobo and cpu for that ram so i can install my server on it :)

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Have you checked for BIOS flash updates that might be available for the motherboard at the ABIT website? If not, that's the next thing I'd try.

5. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

http://www.pny.com/configurator/config.asp

Important Announcement
    PC133 Modules are NO LONGER backward compatible with PC100 Machines. To determine the correct memory upgrade for your machine, use the PNY memory configurator.

What OS?

If you are using Win98 / start / run / msconfig / General tab / Advanced / make sure there is no limit set on memory

:D

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A single 512MB chip is probably too much for that board. the maximum amount for a board is determined by the number of slots times the amount per slot. ie 1Gb = 256Mb x 4

And as stated above, PC 133 is no longer backward compatible. The new chips are manufactured differently. Updating the BIOS may help, but not guaranteed, nor likely.

7. greengeek

greengeek

Two of my PII400s are limited to 256MB of RAM total. Not many around that would accept one 512MB stick.

8. myvicisslow

myvicisslow

it won't work. i just ran into that problem this past week. putting a 133mhz module in my 100mhz max bandwidth caused some problems. so i sent it back. i'm waiting for another one from crucial. can't wait to put that one in!

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I doubt compatibility is the issue because I would think the PC wouldn't even run if that were the case. I suspect it could be the size of the strip as mentioned by Triple6. As far as PC133 not being backward compatible, that's true for some of the major manufacturers but there are still plenty of PC133 strips that are backward compatible. You need to check with manufacturer before buying to be sure.

10. play1998

play1998 Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice