1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not sure what device I need

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OrangeBubblegum, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrangeBubblegum

OrangeBubblegum Thread Starter

I just moved into a university residence. Setting up a wireless connection is not allowed - instead we have one ethernet port on the wall. As a result, we can only have one computer connected to the internet at a time via this wired connection. The problem is, I live with my partner and we both need internet access for our separate computers. We both need to be online at the same time. What is the easiest and most simple way to accomplish this? I don't know much about hubs, routers, and switches. I imagine there should be some sort of basic splitting device I could plug into wall which would allow 2 computers to use the ethernet port. Does something simple like this exist? If so, how much would this cost and where could I buy one? I really appreciate your help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would suggest you talk to the uni IT dept and see what is allowed on the ethernet port, and what suggestions they have for a device

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice