1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not sure what the problem is Modem/Connectivity/Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dgmoneill, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

I am using my daughters computer - when I turn on my Dell Dimension C521 a message comes up that reads: wuauclt.exe, also another one that reads SM Bus Controller - no driver. it says I need the CD for this (which one do I use) - I also cannot connect to internet - I use Cricket Modem - and it says that it is disconnected. I just have no idea what to do since it is a wireless modem and that I should hook up telephone line (I do not have my computer hooked up to a telephone line) - so what could be the problem there.

I did a Modem Diagnostic Tool - and it did not register a modem (where did it go?) - test - failed output code 6 ????

I took this info off of my computer: reinstall system resource cd: XP Professional Version 2003 Service Pack 3, AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3200 2.00 GHz 960MB of Ram Physical Address Extension

Can anyone help me?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The wuauclt.exe file is associated with Windows Updates.

-------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Are there any entries present with a ? or ! next to them?

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker of that Dell Dimension C521 desktop?

3. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

yes i get a ? on Other Devices, and i get a ? and a ! on these three: Ethernet Controller; PCI Simple Communications Controller and SM Bus Controller.

my Service Tag # is FH6Z021

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That service tag number is assigned to a Dell OptiPlex GX260.

Recheck the number and see if you made a typo.

----------------------------------------------------------

Double-click on those 3 entries to open their properties window, then click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Id".

There should be a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

Advise what the numbers and letters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_ .

From what I can determine at this time, the Dell Dimension C521 desktop has

this wired network device:

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

this SM bus device:

NVIDIA SMBus

this communications device:

Conexant D850 56K V.9X PCI DF Modem ULD

but we need to confirm that.

5. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

Yes, I wrote down the wrong Service Tag - it is FH6Z0C1

Ethernet Controller - Ven - 14E4 & Dev - 170C
    PCI Simple Communications Controller - Ven - 14F1 & Dev 2F20
    SM Bus Controller - Ven - 10DE & Dev - 0264

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Dell support site that's specific ONLY to your Dell Dimension C521 desktop. I suggest that you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

Vendor code 14E4 and device code 170C are associated with this device:

Broadcom Ethernet Controller

Vendor code 14F1 and device code 2F20 are associated with this device:

Conexant Data Fax Modem

Vendor code 10DE and device code 0264 are associated with this device:

NVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset

This confirms that the 3 links in the bottom section of post #4 are valid.

Download and SAVE those 3 files, then close all open windows first, then install them.

Install the NVIDIA chipset driver first, then restart the computer.

You can then install the Broadcom and Conexant drivers in any order you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

ok - you say Install the NVIDIA chipset driver first, then restart the computer.

You can then install the Broadcom and Conexant drivers in any order you want.

I can't go onto Dell support as I need to be logged onto the internet and I can't logon right now and I do not know which CD disks to use that I have which came with the computer

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You need a computer with a working internet connection so you can go to the Dell site and download and save those 3 drivers, then burn them off to a CD-R or copy them to a USB thumb drive.

Once that's done, use that external media to install the drivers in the Dell.

The NVIDIA chipset driver gets installed first.

9. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

ok, thanx

10. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

well i finally got my computer up and running but i still get an error message for the following: wuauclt.exe - should i be concerned????

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

------------------------------------------------------

12. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 10:24:22 AM, on 12/9/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer 946\dlcimon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcicoms.exe
    C:\Program Files\Cricket\Cricket Broadband 1.0\Cricket Broadband.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IExplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/?fr=fp-yie8
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/?fr=fp-yie8
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!
    O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\YTSingleInstance.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCICATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCItime.dll,[email protected]
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlcimon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer 946\dlcimon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [605893031] C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ce58dbe2241d31a7.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{5414B4CD-8114-4371-9CEA-E34460C06233}: NameServer = 10.133.20.11 10.132.20.11
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{5414B4CD-8114-4371-9CEA-E34460C06233}: NameServer = 10.133.20.11 10.132.20.11
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: dlci_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcicoms.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

--
    End of file - 7726 bytes

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Navigate to this folder:

C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Local Settings\Temp

If you're unable to or don't know how to navigate to it, click Start - Run, then type in %temp% and then click OK.

Once this temp folder appears, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside it.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal behavior.

After you're done, empty the Recycle Bin and then restart the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

Start HiJackThis, then click "Do a system scan only".

If this log entry:

O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [605893031] C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ce58dbe2241d31a7.exe

is still present in the list, put a checkmark in that entry, then click "Fix Checked - Yes".

Close HiJackThis, then restart the computer again.

14. dgmoneill

dgmoneill Thread Starter

i did everything that you had me do, but that file name will not delete and i still get the error message:

wuauclt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice