1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Sure Where to put this> Netflix question?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hairybusdriver2, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hairybusdriver2

hairybusdriver2 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I was curious of how Netflix makes there money and how they avoid any legal issues. Essentially it seems they use other companies/people's media and content to make money for themselves. Wouldn't they need to pay some kind of royaltie fees to the people who own the media?

Also, what kind of servers would they need to use to handle the kind of stress they get from the thousands of people who are streaming content at once? How would they handle those issues?

I only ask because I was thinking of hosting some videos (not copyrighted material) on my own virtual server so some of my facebook friends can have exclusive access to it. It's for a video game clan. Thanks again!

2. Rearden

Rearden Banned

If you want to share videos with your friends, I would suggest using YouTube. You should be able to set up a private channel that only the people you want to view have access to.

Netflix negotiates with movie studios and production companies to be able to stream the content that do. That's why not all movies and television shows are available. Not all companies give Netflix the right to do it. But this doesn't have anything to do with your videos if you're the one who made them.

3. hairybusdriver2

hairybusdriver2 Thread Starter

I didn't know you could make youtube channels private, thanks that makes things much easier! As for netflix it just peaked my curiosity.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice