1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not sure whether to overclock or not

Discussion in 'Games' started by Qasar, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Qasar

Qasar Thread Starter

Hi I was wondering if its safe to overclock AMD RADEON HD 7400M series graphics card because I feel like its not using its full potential, and I don't really need to be able to play games on HQ but I just don't want the frame rate to constantly dropping even in low quality. I have an ASUS M11BB PC, with 8gb of ram,AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon HD graphics 3.9GHz, & 64bit operating system. Also if there's anyway that I can make my PC run better on games like LoL or any other games please feel free to comment. Thank you.

2. Blu_86

Blu_86

Hi Qasar. Being honest with you, laptops are not really designed for gaming to begin with even though some of them are marketed as such. The small case/housing keep the heat in, and actually that same heat will remain inside the case and you will see forums littered with complaints of high temperatures, shutdowns etc.. because the CPU thermal grease on both the CPU and the GPU can harden and cake up due to the heat. One can reseat them with new grease of they are technically inclined but of course that voids any warranty.

So my thought are don't try to overclock the GPU with any program like AMD overdrive etc because you will be upset when your unit overheats and shuts down, and trust me it will I have worked on too many in my business for those reasons - even the ones with gaming GPU's in them like the 7600m etc. They just don't last as long when you game on them they tend to go out rather quickly.

If you really want to game on it I suggest you learn how to trim operating system services, run in windows basic mode while gaming and manipulate the game settings to low or medium settings. You can also build a cheap desktop to run games as well leaving your laptop to last a much longer time.

3. Qasar

Qasar Thread Starter

I have a desktop PC. I have tried to trim it down to windows basic but it doesn't show on mine I have 8.1

4. Blu_86

Blu_86

Ok usually a 7400m denotes a mobile chip, I see your PC has the A-10 6700 with 8670D (APU). Correct?

5. Qasar

Qasar Thread Starter

well AMD A6-6400K APU

6. Blu_86

Blu_86

That APU comes with Radeon HD 8470D even though the model number of PC you have comes with a different APU configuration. Perhaps you got the same model but with a different processor/APU. I do not know where you get 7400m from.

That said I do not recommend overclocking any APU that is asking for trouble with an OEM made PC with a marginal power supply of usually 300-350 watts. I would recommend an add in GPU but to do that it would require a power supply replacement.

The answer is not it's not safe to overclock, especially an APU (similar to onboard graphics) especially if you are trying to do it on an OEM PC with a warranty in place likely. Additionally if you do overclock and you mess something up that is totally on you. Overclocking is best done with quality parts, usually aftermarket parts, chosen by the builder, that will handle the tolerances of overclocking. It's not for an OEM PC that is warranted by the manufacturer.

7. Qasar

Qasar Thread Starter

I don't want to risk it either, thanks a lot buddy I really appreciate the tips and such, I'm not so much of a computer guy I know some but not much, but I want to learn more y'know I'm planning to save up some money to replace my PC parts(got lucky with the motherboard). And yeah a lot of the same models come with different APUs and what not I saw someones post with the same PC as mine but has a GTX card. So yeah really thanks a lot man appreciate it.

where I got the 7400m from was from the AMD Catalyst program thing

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice