1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

not too sure...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coolyagrandma, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolyagrandma

coolyagrandma Thread Starter

I recently purchased a laptop and I had windows XP home edition put on it because i purchased XP Pro from my school (deal with microsoft, only $12). So i wanted to upgrade it to the XP Pro and when I did i got an error about halfway through. So, next time i booted it up it gave me to options, Windows XP home edition or Windows XP pro setup. I picked hte setup and again it got halfway through and gave me the same error. So, next time i picked the Home Edition. It loads fine (as you can tell, im on it), but it seems to be upgraded to the Pro edition. I actually want to reformat and start over, but when I tried that, I got into the setup after the reboot and when I try to install XP Pro, it says that the setup cannot recognize any of the harddrives or there are none installed (before it rebooted, it said it wanted me to upgrade my HDDs to NTFS, i hit Yes and I'm not sure if it actually did that.)

All i want to know is how can i reformat and just install XP Pro?

Thanks in advance,
    Jimmy.

2. Ablack86

Ablack86

I'm not exactly sure whats going on here... BUT just for the future...

You can't upgrade XP home to XP Pro without quite a few registry changes, and even then it's not a "true" upgrade, but somewhat of a "hacked upgrade"

Also, can you still boot from the drive? Or is that not happening now either?

3. coolyagrandma

Hmmm, didn't know that.

Yes, I can still boot from the drive. I'm on the computer right now.

I tried to do the "Windows XP Professional Setup" on the bootup, and when I did I got a BSOD.

4. Ablack86

Ablack86

ok, did you try BOTH the xp home, and the xp pro cd, to get into the installation? If you didn't, give the XP Home cd a try. If it works, simply switch it out once it loads. = )

5. coolyagrandma

I don't have the XP Home CD.

I can get into the installation from the XP Pro CD just fine, it just says that there are no harddrives installed.

6. Ablack86

Ablack86

ic...

What kind of laptop?

7. coolyagrandma

HP dv8000t

8. Ablack86

Ablack86

Hrm. I'm really at a loss right now. I'll keep looking for ya.

9. coolyagrandma

Alright, thanks a lot.

10. Ablack86

Ablack86

OK this is out of sheer curiosity. GOTO-------
    Settings-Control Panel-Admin Tools-Computer Management-
    Goto Disk Managment on left hand side.

What does it say about each partition?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Ablack86, where did you get the information regarding an upgrade from Home to Pro requiring registry changes and it not being a "true" upgrade? I've ready many threads on here about this, and I've not heard anyone else say anything like this.

coolyagrandma, since you're using this computer successfully with some version of Windows XP, obviously the hard drive is being properly detected by the BIOS which means I doubt this is a hardware issue.

What was the error message you received when trying to upgrade? How far into the installation of Windows XP Professional do you get before receiving an error message of any kind? What type of CD is this copy of Windows XP Pro? Is it an upgrade? OEM?

12. Ablack86

Ablack86

Wow you're right. I actually did not know they made xp home-pro upgrade cds.
    What I was getting at is: With a windows xp pro cd (not upgrade) the upgrade could be done but it DOES require registry changes. My ignorance...

13. coolyagrandma

Volume Layout Type File System Status Capacity Free Space % Free Fault Tolerence Overhead
    (blank) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (Unknown Partition) 1.00 GB 444MB 43% No 0%
    DATA (D: ) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy 74.53 GB 68.86 GB 92% No 0%
    HP_RECOVERY (E: ) Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy 9.34GB 1.38GB 14% No 0%
    OS (C: ) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System) 64.16GB 47.30GB 73% No 0%

When I tried to upgrade, I got an error message that said it had a problem detecting my system settings or something like that and that I needed to contact the system administrator. It installs some files after reboot, like in DOS, then it tries to detect something then I get the error. The CD I bought is Microsoft Licensing, it says Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 November 2004 Systems Student Media. I have another one that says Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition May 2005 Servers (Student Media / Work at Home Media), but when I try to use the second one it tells me to insert the first one.

14. coolyagrandma

This is the exact error I get when trying to install after reboot:

Windows XP Professional Setup
    =====================

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected
    to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is
    correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic
    or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

15. coolyagrandma

I tried what you told me to do.

Did not work, same error.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice