1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not water, but *coffee* on Acer laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seanps, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanps

seanps Thread Starter

I saw that there's a similar post about water below, but since this is coffee (awful, awful coffee), I thought it would bear asking again.

I got a call from my girlfriend today -- she spilled coffee on the keyboard of an Acer Aspire 1300. It worked for a couple of minutes as she started to clean up the mess, but when she picked up the laptop, it turned off. Hopefully it's because she tripped the power cord and it didn't just short out.

Not knowing to power-down, she tried to power on the laptop. The indicator lights all came on and there was a whirring noise (either the fan or the hard drive, not sure), but no start up. That's when she called me and I told her to unplug everything.

So, she unplugged everything, cleaned up what she could find on the keyboard, took the battery out (no liquid in there) and used a hair dryer to try and get rid of some of the moisture. The CD drive was open a bit, so there's a chance something got in there.

No repair shops in town are open (it being a Sunday, and tomorrow being a holiday). I'm looking for advice to give them: is there anything else that can be done for now? The Acer laptops don't have easily removable keyboards (so no cleaning under there), but the keyboard looks pretty well-fit (meaning that maybe the coffee didn't get down there).

I suggested they leave it until tomorrow afternoon, and try powering it up again then. Is there anything else that can be done in the meantime? Should they wait and just take it to a repair shop?

Please help!

:-0

2. debunkcia

debunkcia

well if you are good with computers i would say take the laptop apart and check to see if there is coffee in there. but if your sure i would wait some time for it to dry and then try and turn it on. sounds like there maybe be an issue with something. good luck.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I predict the only way you're going to get it running is to IMMEDIATELY disassemble it and wash off the coffee. It didn't help that she tried to start it again...

I do my washings with plain water, though folks will recommend distilled water, and it is indeed better. After washing, I use canned air to try to remove all the moisture I can from under components, then I bake them in a LOW oven, in the 120-140F range, overnight. As far as the keyboard is concerned, I'd pop the keys off and wash it out and give it the same treatment.

Do NOT try to wash the hard disk, floppy disk, or CD/DVD drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice