1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Work in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by melvinpeterson, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melvinpeterson

melvinpeterson Thread Starter

Hello Members,

I want to get one solution regarding my PC. I have core to duo PC having Windows XP OS, from last few days i face some problems. When i start my PC after normal booting my PC display CMD option like Safe Mode, Command Prompt and something like that. But when i select Safe Mode the whole process continued and the same thing happen again.

So is their any solution for getting back normal. One thing is that my important data are on desktop. Please give me the proper solution as soon as possible.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Could be a number of different causes, what you have is known as a Boot Loop.

If you select Command Prompt does it go there or just continue to loop, also try Last Known Good Configuration, let me know and we will take it from there.

Do you have a Windows XP install disc, if so what Service Pack does it include?

This is a stark reminder of how important it is to keep back ups on CD/DVD's or an external hard drive to preserve your important data for occasions like this.

You can follow this to get all your data off the drive just in case a reinstall is required: Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

3. melvinpeterson

Hey Mark,

First of all thanks for your reply. I can check my PC as you mention here and all time i came on same place. Means the loop is continue whether i select Safe Mode, The Last Known Good Configuration or any other option.

One more thing i have Windows XP disc having SP 2.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, please follow this routine and tell me if you can get to the Command Prompt.

• With the PC switched on insert the XP disc into the CD tray and close it, restart the PC and boot into the Bios.
    • Set the CD drive to 1st position in the Boot order, save settings and exit.
    • You will see a message saying "Press any key to boot from the CD" hit any key on the keyboard. If you are too slow it will boot into the OS on the hard drive and you will have to start again.
    • You will see a blue screen with Windows Setup in the corner, ignore any messages at the bottom of the screen and wait for the next screen to appear.
    • The next screen will show Windows XP (Professional, Home, etc) Setup and Welcome to setup with three choices listed below.
    • Press R on your keyboard to enter the Recovery Console.
    • On the next screen you need to type in the number corresponding to the installation that you wish to repair and hit the Enter key. It will show a list of choices, normally there will only be one unless you have a dual or triple boot setup.
    • You will then be asked for your Administrator password which will be the one you usually log in with when you boot up the PC. If you do not use a password then leave blank and just hit the Enter key.
    • You will then have the Command Prompt ready for you to type in commands.

5. melvinpeterson

Hey Mark,

Once again Thanks for your reply. And yes my PC is working now. I totally use your mention process. After getting command prompt i use CHKDSK option, and after few minutes my PC is back in working process. All my data is safe, and i am not getting any other problems.

Really really Thanks for your support and suggestion.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're most welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice