1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Not Your Standard Warrnty Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by safariman, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. safariman

safariman Thread Starter

I'd be very appreciative of anyone's opinions or suggestions on my HP warranty situation. I'll try to be concise but I want to fully explain the issue.

I bought an HP Pavillion Slimline s5-1214 from Best Buy about two weeks ago so I'm still within the 30 day return window.

I was well aware this wasn't the latest and greatest straight off the factory floor item, but it was the one I wanted for a variety of reasons. It was the last one available at any BB anywhere in my area. Before I paid, I confirmed with the sales guy that it was in fact new, not refurbed, etc. He assured me that yes, it was new, still sealed from the factory.

The day after I got it set up, I got a popup from HP offering to check the warranty status and I said sure, go ahead. The info that was returned was that the warranty begin date was April 2012, end date of May 2013. I immediately contacted HP support who were helpful. They took all the relevant info - serial #, model # etc. They asked me to scan and email my BB receipt which I did immediately.

After a week of no further response and numerous emails from me to HP (unanswered), I called the support number. After looking up my support ticket number, the customer service agent informed me that yes, the warranty info had been updated and that I had the full year. I confirmed that with an online lookup and indeed I have a full warranty.

Okay - I have the machine I want at a price I think was fair and it's working perfectly, cosmetically it's brand new.

But it's been nagging at me that I'm thinking I was sold a PC that was previously purchased and then returned. Belatedly, I looked closely at a shipping label on the box and saw that it was shipped to the store where I bought it in Florida with a return address of Best Buy Returns Department in Ohio.

My questions:

If a machine is sold and returned, should it still be sold as new?
    Should I expect HP to look further into this, or is this strictly between me and the store?
    What should I reasonably expect from Best Buy if I can confirm that strictly speaking, the machine wasn't new?
    Should I just drop it and move on since I got the machine I wanted and the warranty I would expect?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or opinions on all of this as to what you think or what you would do. I suppose it could just be a system error but given the shipping label info, I sort of doubt it.

Thanks in advance.

2. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

Like you said it appears brand new and they will honor the warranty. I would drop any apprehenshion and go forward.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Also I see no reason why you should doubt it just because of that shipping label. Many stores have a different address for returns.

4. safariman

safariman Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I think maybe I wasn't clear on the address label thing. It was shipped to the store where I made the purchase from their Return Center. I guess I don't get why it would have come from the return center if it hadn't been previously purchased and returned.

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    You have some valid concerns. If it were me, I would present all these facts to BB and negotiate the price you paid for it and keep it while putting some money back in your pocket. Always worth a shot, and I believe you have a good chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Ah! that's different.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did the computer look like it had been previously opened or used? It may have never been opened but returned by a customer who decided they didn't want it, happens with presents or people realize they bought the wrong thing. Another option is that it's simply old stock that a store couldn't sell and sent it back to their depot. Also, warranties start from the date the PC is shipped or built until/unless it's registered by the end user. HP and OEM's don't know when a customer buys their product unless a customer registers it, that's why keeping the receipt and registering is so important that way you don't lose the time it sits on the shelf. Or it could have been used, broken, and returned, we are talking about Best Buy here and their reputation is poor, you can checked their Better Business Bureau ratings on computer repair, it's horrendous. You can see what the store will do or say, as mentioned you have nothing to lose.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice