1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Note Pad text documents

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by palmas85, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. palmas85

palmas85 Thread Starter

Question. I am running very low on disc space on my C drive, approximately 400mb left.. I have transferred just about everything that I think is safe to move to my e drive which has plenty of room on it.. I notice that in the windows folder , I have a huge number of text documents, most beginning with the letters KB although not all. They range in size from 10-70kb and all appear to be logs of some sort. Are they necessary or can I safely delete them or move them to the e drive?

I know this is probably a pretty simple thing, but I'm scared to move them or delete them. I appreciate any help at all. Thanks.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The ones that look like KBxxxxxx.log are install logs from Windows updates. You can safely delete them.

You will also notice several folders with names like $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$. These are uninstall folders for Windows updates. If you are happy with the updates you have and are 100% sure you don't want to uninstall them, you can delete these folders.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

However, be careful what you delete. For instance, I know that you do NOT want to delete the folder $hf_mig$ Here's a site with some instructions about what you can and cannot delete, looks pretty much like my understanding, and saves me a lot of typing. :D

Finally, I'll suggest that you may want to consider reallocating the space on the drive. One simple "bandaid" that you can apply is moving the paging file to another drive, this will give you a little breathing room.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Another simple thing to free up space is to clean out old E-mails. I've seen people with several Gigabytes of messages just taking up space.:eek: Burn them to CD if you think you'll want them later.
    Also, getting rid of old restore points will free up space quickly as long as everything is running good. Be sure to create a new restore point before doing any changes like installing new programs.
    T.

5. palmas85

palmas85 Thread Starter

Where is the paging file and how do I delete old restore points?

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
    Click More Options tab and then Clean Up on the System Restore section. Be careful with the other options on that tab. You could get rid of something you may later decide you want.

While the Disc Cleanup is open, it would be a good time to purge the junk that has accumulated. Check the items you want to cleanup and click OK.

You can set the space allocated for System Restore and Paging file by right clicking on My Computer>Properties. For System Restore, use the slider on the System Restore tab.
    For Paging files, click the advanced tab then settings under Performance. On Performance Options, click Advanced tab, then Change under Virtual memory and set the desired size. If you go too low and the performance lags, go back and set it up a bit.
    T.:D

7. JohnWill

You can also split the paging file, leave 50mb or so on C:, and move the rest to a drive where you have more space.

8. palmas85

palmas85 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I did as you guys suggested and freed up almost 2 gbs of space on my c drive. thanks again

9. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

10. Rk.Mishra

Rk.Mishra

Better to preserve the files in an Archieve. If u do not need it in following days, delete permanently.
    hey, if you have a CD writer, why worried about this....??

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!