1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook APU upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajkane, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

I recently purchased a HP-1d60us. It currently has an a4-3320m APU. I was looking around and found that you can upgrade the APU (which makes since because it is just a CPU, which are interchangeable), but I can't find ANY website that sells amd APS, I have found intel mobile CPUS, but no AMD. Does AMD not sell their APU's by themselves? Could someone point me in the right direction, give me a link, or just tell me AMD doesn't sell their mobile APU's.

2. Compiler

Compiler

Most notebooks do not have user upgradeable CPU (APU for that type of AMD CPU). Notebook makers may only include a cooling than can handle a certain rated CPU.

Checking out that AMD A3-330m CPU, its in the middle of the pack in terms of over-all performance.
    Its in the middle of AMD A3-3X series CPUs in terms of performance in which the faster version is only 200mhz faster by default, but same in turbo.

IE: There is nothing for you to upgrade to.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The mobile processors you would have to buy from the Laptop Manufacturer, There are few laptops that have user replaceable processors. And those are usually limited to the very higher end models and the upgrades would be limited. Also to be considered, is the fact that if a user performed the upgrade it would void any warranty.

4. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

I know any upgrade would void the warranty, but why are there intel mobile cpu's on the market but no amd? I planned on upgrading the CPU fan as well, because this one is loud and has low cfm, but I have always heard that all CPUs are removable unless they are built into the mobo, and I know this one isn't built in because they have me the wrong APU for this computer (a4-3320m instead of the a3-3305m). So the only way to get a amd mobile APU would be to contact HP? That seems ridiculous!

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What is the reason for wanting to upgrade the processor?

6. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

It is a 2Ghz dual core, I want to be able to play games on a setting higher then low, and even on low I am at ~15FPS. I was looking at upgrading the the future to an a8 when buying this laptop, but now I can't find the APUs to upgrade to.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    First, just because you got a different APU than you expected, doesn't mean that the processor is not soldered in. It may not be, but that is something you would have to find out from HP.

In a laptop that was built around an A4 processor, there would likely be more problems than just the HSF.

8. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

Ok, I will call HP, thanks for your help.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Repeat. There is NOTHING to upgrade to... its already a decent dual core, but you need better GPU abilities. The AMD A-Class CPUs are excellent low-power-low cost general purpose CPUs with gaming abilities. Your computer was about $500 at the most, its onboard 3D-graphics blows away intel, easily. But your chip is not used in Gaming notebooks that costs around $1000~2000.

One of the few 4cores that may work is the AMD A8-3510MX, but there is NO way to know if the HP would support it... nor can you easily get your hands on one. Its not in normal dist. channels. And not ALL intel mobil CPUs are available to the public either.

Best bet, sell what you have... buy a gaming notebook.

Use this site to locate the graphics abilities you are looking for. You'll need to return the notebook (if you can) or sell it and buy something else. It is the simplest and least cost effective way:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
    Search for: AMD Radeon HD 6480G on that page. The AMD Radeon HD 6620G, the fastest A-Class M-CPU GPU is not even double the performance of what you have now... its easily better - with a lot more GREEN scores, but in the grand scheme of things, its weak.

Here are the stats on AMD A-Class Mobile CPUs, with their graphic abilties:
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/note...ainstream/Pages/2011-mainstream-platform.aspx

Needless to say, the "free" upgrade to a slightly faster CPU is nice. The GPU part of your APU is 240 cores, the quad-core goes up to 400 total.

10. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help, I will just stick with what I have, I got it for $370 and I only bought it because it was that cheap (norm $490) I was curious for a future upgrade, I have taken apart laptops before, but I haven't removed the CPU heatsink and fan on a laptop only a desktop, so I just assumed they were interchangeable like desktops. If you don't mind one more question, I read online on the spec sheet that this laptop has a PCI-e slot, what would that be used for? I don't see any external area that the PCI-e device would reach the outside, The only thing I can think is an SSD.

Thanks again, everyone :D

11. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

@compiler The upgrade is VERY nice seeing how the a3-3305m only has 160 shaders!

12. Compiler

Compiler

Yep... I noticed... so you got an EXCELLENT deal for $370. Enjoy it for what it is... save for a gaming desktop or notebook. Desktop is better because you can upgrade it easily.

The PCIe Slot you asked about, on your notebook is not the same on a desktop. Its a mini-slot for custom cards, like wireless 3G and what not. Also, not for SSD. There is a mini SATA form-factor for tiny SSD drives, called mSATA. They look like this:
    [​IMG]

They (some notebook companies like ASUS) have worked on making an external PCIe slot & box that can hold a normal desktop video card... which I think would be great. My guess is that there were problems on technical and/or demand.

The projected cost for the adapter would have been about $100 or so. The notebook would have to have a connector.
    The issues would be having a standard ext PCIe slot... in a good location and the notebook BIOS being able to communicate with the box and video card correctly.

Some high-end gaming noteboooks use internal PCIe slots for gaming cards, but those cards are specialized and also not available for public.

13. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help again.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice