1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook Battery Madness

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Epic, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epic

Epic Thread Starter

I have a brand new Compaq Presario 906 Notebook. It's a pretty nice machine...but it fails to accomplish the one thing notebooks should -- run off the battery.

No matter how long I charge the battery using the AC adapter, the meter in the system tray always reads between 15-20%. Also, if I unplug the AC adapter while the notebook is on, the power immediately shuts off. Curiously, I can sometimes turn the power on when the notebook's unplugged, so the battery doesn't appear to be completely useless. Even then, however, it never lasts more than thirty minutes.

Also, is there anything special involved with removing a laptop battery for examination,etc? Or does it just slide out?

Where do I start on this problem? Thanks for the help.

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

Usually there is a button or a catch that releases the battery and it slides out. A new laptop should not have a defective battery, I would return it or ask for a new battery

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

you said its a new machine, did you let the battery charge all the way when u first got it? Laptop batterys usually only last a short period of time, thats why most people just plug them into a wall outlet. I wouldn't be unplugging it while you have it on, you could lose important data, since thats not a proper shutdown. Try contacting compaq to see if the battery is faulty, you don't want to void any warranty, and then see if you can get a longer lasting battery. goodluck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice