1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Loose4Bruce, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loose4Bruce

Loose4Bruce Thread Starter

Does a notebook battery lose charge even when the machine is turned off?
    For example, it was at 100% when I turned it off and removed the AC adapter.
    Less than 24 hours later, I turn it on, and the battery indicator says 65%.
    I've only had the laptop for a week, and this is the second time the charge has significantly decreased while off. The first time, the battery was completely dead after being fully charged, removed, and not used for 2 days.
    Another time, I charged to full and rebooted. The battery showed 95% upon restart. I can't believe it would use that amount to power up.
    Is my battery a dud?

2. dannyn

dannyn

this should not happen..
    but you are shutting down the laptop not putting it in standby or hibernate... correct?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Depends what type of battery. NiMH lose about 6% per month, and NiCAD's less. Lithium loses a small percentage, too. All batteries lose power over time.

But none should lose power at that rate and that usually means the the batteries are near the end of their lifetimes.

Hibernate uses no power whatsoever, but sleep and standby use a small amount of power, depending on the type of standby your machine goes into.

4. dannyn

dannyn

how does hibernate use no power..
    even if it is the tiniest amount dosent the RAM still have to be powered.

5. Loose4Bruce

Loose4Bruce Thread Starter

Yes I am completely shutting down.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hibernate saves the memory to disk (hiberfil.sys). The RAM is empty. That's why it's safer in a power failure since nothing gets lost.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice