1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook doesn't switch graphics modes.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Beany001, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beany001

Beany001 Thread Starter

I have the following notebook.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Proffesional x64.
    I used the Asus CD to install all Asus stuff. Even the ones I don't need.

My notebook as two graphics cards. The default Intel Onboard card and the more powerful 1GB nVidia GeForce GT425M 1GB video card.
    Before the upgrade (which was a clean install) when I played a game (left 4 dead2, call of duty: black ops) the notebook automatically switched from the Intel to the Nvidia graphics card. But it doesn't anymore.
    I have read that my notebook used Nvidia Optimus technology to do this.
    Although I can't seem to be able to solve the problem.

Here is my TSG SysInfo log:
    Code:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6764 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -937 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 153499 MB, Free - 82492 MB; D: Total - 434874 MB, Free - 294610 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., N53Jf
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

2. mel8again

mel8again

I looked up your computer and under Knowledge your problem is listed. It calls for a driver update at their site which is soon going to be 2 years old. I found newer ones at http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/39066. You can choose what you want, download the file but before installing, the old Nvidia drivers should be uninstalled.

3. Beany001

Beany001 Thread Starter

I have already downloaded and installed that driver.
    Maybe it's worth mentioning that I have two graphics cards (driver wise as well)

Attached Files:

4. Beany001

Beany001 Thread Starter

I removed both graphics drivers (apparently turning off my back-light) and I installed the driver mel8again gave me.
    This sadly didn't help.

The main reason this is a problem because my steam games, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops and Trackmania United,
    all run very laggy. There is even a noticable delay between when I press my left mouse key and when my in-game character fires his weapon.

Before, when I had Windows 7 Home Premium it was all fine.

It would be great if someone could solve this problem.

5. mel8again

mel8again

I'm sorry to see you are not getting anywhere with this problem. Did you perhaps install the update for the Intel graphics from Oct 2011? I found the Intel site that will detect your Intel graphics and update the drivers http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/hdgraphics. Another thought, have you done any updates to the bios. There are a few listed for your machine.

6. Beany001

Beany001 Thread Starter

After I remove all Graphics drivers windows automatically give me a viewable (though too small) screen.

After I installed the Nvidia driver it went to Windows Update and installed Intel Corporation - Display - Intel(R) HD Graphics

It also show the update is from April 2011

On small addition. On my laptop I have a light which glow blue or white. Were blue is when it uses my Nvidia card and white is when it uses my Intel Card.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!