1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook Hard Drive Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dencol, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dencol

dencol Thread Starter

I am trying to replace the Hard drive for my HP Pavilion Notebook. I was able to take out the old hard drive rather easily. I have also purchased a new hard drive. All I wanted to ask was that whether installing a new notebook hard drive is as easy as taking the old one out or will I need some installation kit, software etc etc. Also I'd really appreciate it if somebody could direct me to a site where I can find step by step instructions for installing my new hard drive.

2. norton850

norton850

Most notebook hard drives have an adapter of some sort to connect it to the notebook MB connector. You just need to take it off the old HD and put it on the new one. No software needed.
    Edit: Of course software is needed to reinstall Windows and all drivers needed by your notebook.

3. onsite

onsite

What is the model number of the notebook. Not to be a wise guy, just reverse the removal process. Make sure you do not apply any pressure to the top of the HD. They are not as sturdy as desktop HDs. Do you have your HP Windows cd ?

4. dencol

dencol Thread Starter

Model # is ze4911. When I am reinstalling Windows should I use the cd that came with the laptop or my own Windows XP CD??

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would use the HP cd is it will accept it, and if not then your XP cd but bear in moind of the XP cd is in use on any other pc, then you cannot use it on the laptop.

6. onsite

onsite

It all depends, the HP cd will install the notebook the way it was when you received it ( their may be 2 CDs, OS and APPS). The OS on the HP cd, if not xp and Have you ever installed XP with the other retail version of XP, If you have and it has been activated it will not work. One xp cd , one pc, 2 xp cd's , 2 pc's and so on.
    I have to get back to you on the HD part

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice