1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook hard drive noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morania, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I took the hard drive out of my notebook and when I turned it over, there was a single click as if the little arm had shifted position in there. Is that OK or should they never ever make and mechanical noises?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

No, you shouldn't hear a click. The question is, do you still hear a click if you turn it over again? If not maybe your ears were fooling you for that one brief moment. If you do, just remember that most Notebooks are turned over countless times and I'd bet yours was too.

If it ran fine before it probably will continue. Unless of course before you heard the click you dropped the drive on the floor. :D

3. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

It didn't suffer any trauma. The notebook is highly mobile and before the great "other catastrophe", the hard drive ran fine.
    The click does indeed sound like the little head holding arm swing or something. It's a consistant noise created by rocking the drive. I was just seeing if anyone ever heard anything like it before while they were handling hard drives. Ive done replacement jobs and heard faint, so faint noises from good drives but not quite like this.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

That does not sound good and I'm afraid I don't know of any way to test it other than installing it and praying or taking it to a shop where they will basically bench test it which is the same as running it inside. If the arm scrapes the platter......

Opening a drive is one of the nastiest things you'll ever try and afterward it will be useless which is the best way to make sure no one snoops on an old drive.

Maybe someone else can help further.

5. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

They aren't as scary as you'd think. I have successfully swapped controller card from good to bad drives as a method of data recovery and in the case of this one, it has had liquid spilled near it and the card may be cleaned and made functional again (hopefully). All one needs is a miniature Torx driver and some steady hands.
    You know that I don't like the sound of the click even if it's only the arm swinging a bit or I wouldn't have posted. It would suck to go throught he trouble of disassembling/cleaning just to find out the there is a mechanical problem too.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Morania

I have had some laptop drives click when you shook them and they worked just fine in the laptop. Cleaning the card shouldn't be too bad if you have done it before. Hopefully nothing on the card has shorted and burned out BOL

7. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

What's the BOL?

8. kramnnim

kramnnim

One of my laptop hard drives has a label on it stating that a click is normal. Another does not have the label, but it clicks like the other one. Both are Toshiba drives, and both are working fine as far as I can tell. Does yours click every time you turn it upside down? (Mine do)

9. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I was at work and a local guru said the same thing. It seems that the little hard drives may not have the same locking mechanisms on the armetures as the big ones. Hence, the little arms swing a bit.
    It just clicks lick a clock each time I turn it. No big deal.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice