1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

notebook hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wesleyd, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wesleyd

wesleyd Thread Starter

I replaced a defective hard drive in my NEC 2205c notebook, all went well. When repowered, the screen remained black, I powered down, repeated the procedure with the same result. with the drive removed the startup stops at "starting WIN 95", next error MAG. ,as would be expected, "hard drive missing".
    Where do I go; from here?

Wesleyd

2. wesleyd

wesleyd Thread Starter

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Be sure you are connecting it correctly.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What size was the old drive and what size is the new drive? BIOS's have drive size limitations.

5. wesleyd

wesleyd Thread Starter

6. wesleyd

wesleyd Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy-

There only seemed to be one way to install the new hard drive, following the old installation.
    I did that and the screen has nothing, nol ight at all, removing the drive (after powering down) returns the screen startup, but without the drive nothing can be booted up.

Wesleyd

7. ~Candy~

I suppose the drive could be dead. Just for fun, you might try accessing bios to be sure the old drive is not appearing there. Are both drives the same size?

8. n2gun

n2gun

The bios may have been set to the old drive specifically as in setting number of disks etc. Access the bios and set it to auto and see if that helps.

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

"starting WIN 95",

Do you have a floppy drive with a disk in it? Be sure the bios is set to boot from the floppy drive first. But if you aren't getting any setup screens at all with the new drive installed then it may not be compatable with your system.

10. wesleyd

wesleyd Thread Starter

I am grateful for the suggestions about checking the bios settings, however with a blank screen am unable to do this. I have called the supplier and have arranged an exchange, in case the new drive is defective. Thank you for trying.

wesleyd

11. ~Candy~

You change the bios setup without the drive installed ;)

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can get a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter for around $5, which will allow you to connect the laptop drive to a desktop computer to see if it's working properly. I keep a couple of them around for such uses. :)

13. doogdoog

doogdoog

Aloha johnwill,
    Where can I get that adapter?? TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

14. RandyG

RandyG

15. wesleyd

wesleyd Thread Starter

Thank you AcaCandy and johnwill for the suggestions. I will give each a try and if successful will inform you.

wesleyd

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice