1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by esprout19, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. esprout19

esprout19 Thread Starter

My HP Pavilion dv9300 series laptop's display is shot. I think it's the motherboard that is creating the problem. The only way to get a display to show up is using an external monitor and disabling the NVIDIA graphic drivers. From what I've read, the MB is overworking the graphics card, causing it to overheat and fry. There was a recall for a number of notebooks that had this problem, but mine did not have the proper product number so HP will not fix it (without making me pay $425). Is anyone out there familiar with this issue and if so, what would be the best (cheapest and most effective) way to resolve it? Thank you!

HP Pavilion dv9334us, Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600, running Vista 32-bit.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the product number of your laptop? ie. GA074UA

Such repairs, especially when they require replacement of the mainboard, video card, or LCD are not cheap. You could try getting quotes from online laptop repair centers or local shops.

Sometimes the most effective way to resolve an issue with a laptop is to simply replace it.

3. esprout19

esprout19 Thread Starter

Product number is RV119UA#ABA. I've looked into replacing the motherboard and it's going to cost upwards of $400. No option seems to be relatively inexpensive. For just a little more than the cost of replacement parts, I can get a new laptop with better components. It's just really frustrating that I spent a ton of money on a top of the line machine and it only lasted me three years. And it's not like it was my fault. It was a faulty device on the machine that caused the problem and HP is recognizing that the problem exists, yet is only offering to fix a select few to repair...sorry. Venting...

I'm just not sure it's worth putting that kind of money into something that is losing tech value by the minute...

Thanks for listening...

4. digger747

digger747

I've got 2 dv9000's setting here right now.Both need motherboards.Probably just junk them.One is my daughters.From now on when i buy a laptop i will buy the extended warranty.Spent hard earned money on one for my daughter for collage now its junk.Had to give her mine.Didn't last much more than 18 Mo.Alot of info on net about this issue.That great deal at best Buy wasn't so great!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, unfortunately that one isn't covered...too bad.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice