1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook/Laptop recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raider4evr, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raider4evr

Raider4evr Thread Starter

Hi all! This place has always provided some good information, so Im hoping you can do it again! I'm on the verge of purchasing a laptop/notebook computer. I would mostly be using it to play games on while I have down time during my job (breaks, etc.) and like a portable DVD and to hook-up to my network at home. My problem is I know little about laptops - never have worked on one, fixed one or really used one. I am currently thinking of getting an HP or Toshiba - both with 3.0/3.2 Ghz, 17 monitor, 60-80gig HHD, Nvidia 5200/5600 video, 512 or 1gig memory, DVD/CD-rw, wireless "g", etc.

What whould you recommend? I was told that the CPU on a notebook is not the same as a CPU on a desktop (quote from someone else :"1.7 ghz mobile is equal to a 2.6 desktop cpu"), is this true? Also, is there a site that gives information on notebooks/laptops - CPUs, memory, etc.? Any and all help would be appreciated.

TY!

2. Raider4evr

ANyone?

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

I personally prefer Toshiba or Sony but thats simply a personal preference. They just seem to give more bang for the buck. I also do laptop repair and I see less major problems with Those 2 brands.

As to the processor question, it depends on the processor. A lower clockspeed Pentium M will perform equal to a faster P4 on certain applications due to the way it processes instructions. It also runs cooler and has longer battery life usually.

If money is no object, I have really been impressed with most Centrino notebooks but they are a little pricy. I also prefer ATI for graphics so a Radeon Mobility chipset would be my preference for gaming.

Here is one link to laptop comparisons. A quick google search will probably find you a few more.

http://www.laptopadvisor.com/index.html

4. Raider4evr

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/235282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice