1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook not booting CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anonymouse91, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anonymouse91

anonymouse91 Thread Starter

Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I have a Acer Travelmate C110 tablet notebook which when I try to boot from CD to reinstall Windows, it just skips booting the CD. I think it tries to read it because I can hear the drive whirring but then it just goes to Windows. I have tried the system disk which boots fine but the WinXP disks don't boot. I'm not sure if this may be the problem but because this notebook doesn't have a CD drive built in, i'm using an external USB DVD/RW drive. Any help?

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Anonymouse91, that is an interesting problem. I imagine you have checked your BIOS for a "boot from USB" capacity.
    Your system disk is obviously a floppy, so the floppy is most likely set to boot before the hard drive.
    So If you can't set the thing to boot from USB in BIOS you are going to need a floppy with a suitable driver set to hand-over to the USB.
    I have a floppy disk here that will hand-over to a CDROM but not a USBCDROM.
    I will see what I can find, in the meantime you might find the "Madboot" floppy may be useful. You can get the image from the madboot site and make a bootable floppy with it. It has some tools on it but I don't think it has a USB handover.
    See what others think, I will check tomorrow.
    qldit.

3. buckfan1

buckfan1

Tablet PC Comparison table
    You are here: Home / Products & Services / tablet PC / Tablet PC Comparison table

Acer recommends Windows® XP Professional.

Series
    Processor
    Operating System Display
    System Memory
    HDD
    Optical Devices
    Dimension& Weight

TravelMate C200 Intel® Centrino™ mobile technologies

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730/740/750/760/770

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 370/380

Intel® 915GM /915PM Express chipset

I ntegrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection (dual-band 802.11b/g) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ solution, supporting Acer SignalUp wireless technology
    Genuine Windows® XP
    Tablet PC Edition preloaded 12 .1" XGA TFT LCD supporting EMR pen-based input 256/512 MB DDR SDRAM, upgradable to 2GB 60 /80/100 GB or higher Built in DVD/CD-RW combo and DVD -super Multi double layer 3 15 × 2 38 × 3 5.3 mm
    2.05 kg (4.5 lbs.) with 3-cell battery and weight-saver module

2.35 kg (5.17 lbs.) with 3-cell battery and optical drive module

2.5 kg (5.5 lbs.) with 6-cell battery and optical drive module

2.6 kg (5.72 lbs.) with 9-cell battery and optical drive module
    TravelMate C310 Intel® Centrino?mobile technologies

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730/740/750/760/770

Intel® 915GM Express chipset (UMA graphics)

Intel® 915PM Express chipset (discrete graphics)

Integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection (dual-band 802.11b/g) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED?solution, supporting Acer SignalUp wireless technology
    Genuine Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition preloaded 14.1" TFT LCD supporting EMR pen-based input 256/512 MB DDR SDRAM, upgradable to 2GB 40/60 /80/100 GB or higher Built in DVD/CD-RW combo and DVD -super Multi double layer 326 × 272 × 3 6.5 /39 mm
    2. 89 kg with DVD/CD-RW combo drive

Configurations may vary differently from each different country
    * Specifications are subject to change according to Acer local operation

According the specs it says it has a built in dvd/cd drive, Yours does not have that?

4. anonymouse91

Nope, Its got a USB Floppy drive and a Firewire CD ROM but because of a problem with the Firewire port, I've had to use a Freecom DVD/RW USB drive. I've tried installing Windows 98 and it starts but it comes out with an error about OEMCD001 and not finding a CD driver so I had a look on the net for one and found a few, tried them and it comes out with the same error.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I doubt you'll find W98 drivers for the hardware on that machine, I suggest you don't try such a downgrade of the O/S.

6. anonymouse91

I have to install 98 because the system is a tablet pc but i got it with xp pro. I've got a copy of tablet edition which i'm trying to install but from within windows it says that i've got a newer version than whats on the CD and my PC isn't booting from anything (WinNT, XP, Tablet Edition) except Win 98 where it has that error.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Everyone, that really makes it difficult to consider what to do.
    Johnwill, how would it be if the hard drive were removed and cleaned and tested in another machine then the entire Windows XP loaded as a copy to the hard drive.
    If the drive were then refitted and accessed would that allow a system clean load?
    I haven't done it.
    qldit.

8. qldit

qldit

Alternatively would it be possible to slipstream a tablet XP version with the latest SP-2. If that were done would it still identify as an older version?
    All this heavy thinking is overheating my poor brain!
    Johnwill will know!
    qldit.

9. anonymouse91

Thanks for all the help guys :) but i might just ask someone I know for the recovery discs. I would of liked to install it fresh without all the acer pre-loaded programs but DOS doesn't like USB. Thanks anyway

10. qldit

qldit

Good Morning anonymouse, I can appreciate you wanting to do a clean install and I am pretty sure it is possible, the USB does cause a bit of a problem.
    In that you have a USB floppy and it does appear to be in the boot first mode, and operative, have you tried removing it and just leaving the hard drive plugged.
    It may detect the USB CD and be bootable from it.

If you could manage that, it might work as a load souce.

Cleaning the present hard drive is no problem, the problem is detecting some source suitable for a reliable system load.
    You could try getting a bootable CD, like Memtest86 and seeing if that would detect and boot from the CD with the floppy drive removed.
    If that worked, I would be inclined to replug the floppy then clean and prepare your hard drive using the boot from Madboot floppy.
    But I haven't done it like this before with a crippled machine.

I am not familiar with your tablet windows but would imagine it is a simple scaled down version of ordinary windows in the form as a bootable CD.
    If you place that CD in an ordinary PC does it appear bootable?
    If that were the case, it might be a little out of date so I would be inclined to chase the latest W-XP-SP-2 (I mean the latest techinical SP-2) and try (on another machine) to see if I could make a slipstreamed version using your tablet version. This slipstreaming integrates the relevant system updates to create a latest set of system files which can be burnt to another CD and then can be used as your updated master.

The slipstreaming program is free but you need to have a different burning procedure to make the required CD.
    If you wish to know more about this don't hesitate to ask.

I know there would be a floppy avaiable that would load the neccessary USB information and handover to a USB CDROM but the problem would probably happen where the load process reboot is needed.

This is all simple things I would try, but they may not for some reason work.
    Hypothetical ramblings actually. Certainly an interesting problem.

Cheers, qldit.

11. anonymouse91

Thanks for everyones help but i've fixed it. I had a spare Acer laptop with a CD drive built in so I swapped the hard drives. Its working fine (at the moment) so thanks again

12. qldit

qldit

Very Clever, necessity is the mother of invention!
    You are lucky, they must have similar boards.
    qldit.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice