1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook PC battery (batteries?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Knotbored, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Knotbored

Knotbored Thread Starter

My year old Averatec c3500 notebook was stored for a couple months. When I started it the main battery was empty (of course). and the clock icon showed time/date that was way off. I considered this probably normal.

Now when I store the PC for even three days the clock needs to be reset, although the main battery seems to still have at least a negligible amount of power left (will show a short slideshow of photo's.)

I have two questions:
    1. Is there a small CMOS battery that might need replacing ? and does that battery get recharged from the main battery? Where would that be located ?

2. What is the best way to refresh my main battery? I have opinion if I totally discharge/recharge it will come back to total storage.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I've got the 3200 series and it looks like Averatec doesn't intend having the user do much to this thing. I have examined the manual and find no information on a user-changable battery. Even the hard disk isn't user accessible.

I found this out after the purchase and was quite ticked off about it; but, I decided to keep it anyway because of its compact and light design.

There is definitely a CMOS battery in it; but, it isn't rechargable nor intended to be user replacable.

I did a Google search but didn't find anything on replacing the CMOS battery.

Sorry, that's about all I know.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless your Averatec is different than mine, it uses the LiIon batteries, and you should NOT routinely totally discharge them. They have no memory, so the correct way to handle them is to keep the fully charged, and charge them whenever you get a chance after use.

I think there's a small battery inside the machine, mine has never given me any problems, so I'm not sure where it is.

The normal way to access the hard disk in may laptops is to remove the bezel and touchpad and then lift the keyboard. Mine has six screws that appear to hold the bezel down, and I suspect that's where you'll find the hard drive and the battery.

4. Knotbored

Knotbored Thread Starter

Thanks for the information- I suspect I should have a professional look at mine. I am going to Orlando next month, and was hoping to use the notebook with my new GPS (untested yet) to get around streets. I guess I can take along an inverter to use the car battery to keep it going. (Another thing to carry)
    I see by their site that Averatec only sells my model now as "refurbished" hmmm.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Averatec machines seem to morph pretty rapidly, I've had mine for two years, and the new models have quite a few different features. They're a nice laptop for the money, and I'm quite happy with mine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice