1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook refuses to boot after BIOS update with no error codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nomenclature_Man, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nomenclature_Man

Nomenclature_Man Thread Starter

Product Name: HP ENVY m7 j020dx
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
    I attempted a BIOS update earlier today. After it finished, it said that the screen may be black and LED's may blink for a while after (I don't remember the exact wording). Well, the screen was still black after about 4 hours, so I turned it off, and now it refuses to boot. There are no beeps, no error codes, no POST, nothing, so I figure the BIOS must be corrupted or something. I've tried resets and the windows key+b trick with no luck. I've spent a few hours trying to figure out how to run a the BIOS from a USB, but info is a bit scarce, so I couldn't figure it out. So, what else can I try? I don't really have the time nor the money to send it in for repairs, but I need this computer for school by next week.

Edit: A while ago, I had to restore my laptop which erased my HP_TOOLS partition. So, if anyone has the same or a similar laptop and still has their HP_TOOLS partition, a DL link would probably make this a lot easier to fix.

2. renegade600

renegade600

where did you get the bios update? I would suggest going to the website you got it from and see if there are instructions on fixing it if the install went bad.

3. Nomenclature_Man

From the HP support assistant. But I've spent hours searching, and I can't find anything useful.

4. renegade600

renegade600

5. Nomenclature_Man

No, that didn't work. The file transfer light on the USB drive lit up for about 5 seconds, and nothing else happened.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice