1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notebook Screen Blackout

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adian, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adian

adian Thread Starter

A friend of mine has an older Toshiba Satellite - I'm not sure of the model. Every now and then she'll go to turn it on and the screen will remain black, though if I look close enough I can still see the information on it. Usually she can turn it off, remove the battery, wait a few moments, put the battery back in, and it will work fine, but it's started happening more and more.

I know it isn't something with her video card because if she hooks her monitor into it, even while dark, the monitor comes on just fine.

I think the problem has to do with the...side lighting? I'm still not entirely familiar with how LCD monitors work. Anyway, I doubt there's anything I could do but tell her to take it somewhere for repairs, but I wanted to make sure first - especially if it's going to cost a bit. Is there a bulb, tube, or wire ot something that could be loose? I'm just looking for ideas.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just confirmation about what I think is wrong.

- Pat

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sounds like a backlight issue. There is a small light that runs the length of the LCD along the bottom that lights up the LCD pixels from the back. (Thus the term backlight) if you see the words faintly when you turn it on this is a classic symptom of the backlight failing to turn on. This can usually be rapaired with a 30$ part but may cost some $ in labor as I would have a professional to change it out.

I am assuming if you hook the laptop up to an external monitor when its dim you see the screen 100% correct on the monitor?

3. adian

adian Thread Starter

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought the lights were along the sides.

Yes, the external monitor comes up perfectly.

- Pat

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Nope usually its a single thin light running the width of the LCD not much wider than a pencil tip and very delicate.

I am sure somewhere there may be one with them along the sides but I have only seen 3 LCD's opened up before to know they have all been a single light along the bottom.

Take it to a shop to repair it the backlight or get a whole new LCD and replace it but new LCD's cost 150$+ for laptops and backlights usually in the 30$ range. Just a little harder to find people who fix backlights vrs LCD replacements.

5. adian

adian Thread Starter

Cool, learn something new all the time. ;P

I'll look around and see if I can find somewhere that will replace the backlight, thanks a lot for the help.

- Pat

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice