1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

notepad document prefix

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Brockk4, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brockk4

Brockk4 Thread Starter

how do I save a text document made in notepad with a prefix other than .txt? i am writing a text file for an aerospace program called avl and need to save the document as a .avl document. thanks for the help! :)

2. caraewilton

caraewilton

Click on the saveas under file.
    type in the name followed by .avl

Here is an example:

newpost.avl

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That sets the name not the file type. A file called info.txt is exactly the same as the same file renamed info.avl. Did you verify that this is only a cosmetic name change and not a file type change?

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

I could not find a program that uses the file extension of .avl, that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. However, if you get a file with that .avl extension, can you open it it notepad and have it legible? If not, or if there are lines of code/gibberish mixed with the text, it isn't a text file. If it is legible, than you can try what follows.
    There are certain file extensions that you can save a text file as (most common are .bat and .reg) but you must do it the following way. Create your file, go to Save As, select your location, select All files name your file name.avl and select ANSI as your encoding. Then you will have a text file with an .avl extension. If you just name it name.avl and save, the real name of the file will be name.avl.txt and it will be associated with whatever the computer uses to open text files (NotePad, WordPad or some other text editor).

5. caraewilton

caraewilton

So sorry, but then you want to convert the file which is a different game. Please keep in mind, sometime changing the name as I suggested is all that is required. For instance if you have been working with html code.

6. caraewilton

caraewilton

Not sure why, but my notepad definately does not make a *.htm.txt when I do what I originally suggested. I actually double checked as other programmes like word do. Must admit though, now thinking about it, it is a little odd that it does not.

7. caraewilton

caraewilton

Not sure why, but my notepad definately does not make a *.htm.txt when I do what I originally suggested. I actually double checked as other programmes like word do. Must admit though, now thinking about it, it is a little odd that it does not.

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

You don't get a .htm.txt extension because technically, html files are just text files (hyper TEXT markup language) - the added info in an html file is simple notation that the browser uses for comprehending the layout and formatting, but a text editor reads it all as text - hence my question to Brock4 about what he sees when he tries to open one of his .avl files in notepad - if it is legible, even if a bit odd (such as html open and close statements such as <B></B>) then it is a text file - otherwise it is being generated by something else.

9. Charles_Bukowski

Charles_Bukowski

What I did was save as, and then changed the save as file type to all files and saved it as test.avl and it was registered as an avl file.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Simply giving a file an extension does not make it a certain type. It would probably help to know what program is using these avl files. I just suspect you're not going to get the results you're looking for with simply renaming the file.

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

Yeah double, is right -that is why I asked if an avl file would open normally and legibly in NotePad.
    Brock, I could take an Access database file and save it so it had a txt extension, but, you know what? It would be absolute garbage. Or I could save it with an avl extension, or a doc or....
    But the only way it works is to have a program that creates such a file naturally save it as such.
    Franksly, the only program I could find that relates to the term avl is a fleet tracking system that uses GPS for finding positions. But I looked at the program behind it, and it uses a language called Geography Markup Language, which is essentially a version of XML. Not text.
    So, what is the name of the program you are trying to send data to?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice