1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

notepad popping up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by root, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. root

root Thread Starter

Friend of mine has XP. She says after she logs onto windows, notepad throws up a window (name of file is desktop, she says)
    It contains the following:
    [.shellclassinfo]
    [email protected],21786

The last thing that was done to her system was removing the loveletter virus using the symantec tool.

It also put a shortcut to the file on her desktop. Why would this have happened. What does it mean? And how can I safely tell her to stop this from happening?

Thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can tell you that it is a desktop.ini file pointing to a particular icon. I don't know which, I don't seem to have the corresponding one in my XP. It may or may not be safely deletable.

But what I would do is make sure "hide protected system files" is checked in Folder Options > View, as these files should not otherwise appear.

And you can also troubleshoot by running msconfig and unchecking startup files to see if any there are responsible.

Wouldn't hurt to run something like Spybot either...

http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/

3. root

root Thread Starter

Yeah, I realized that it was the desktop.ini file.
    And I had her check in the startup folder for all users.
    I told her to move it from there (not delete it, just in case).
    However, she said it still appears. This advice was given long distance, and she is new, so I am assuming she did it all right.
    I asked her if these files were dimmed, which would indicate that it wasn't normally visible. She said no. But, even if it was, it shouldn't pop up.

I will tell her to check msconfig next time I speak to her. Any idea why this would happen all of a sudden. I have seen this reported by other, with no real explanation about why or how to get rid of it.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/

It might be a good idea to install, update and run Spybot.

And the command sfc /scannow will do a system check for altered or missing system files and replace them automatically or prompt for a CD.

I did a registry search for that shell32.dll,21786 and at first thought I had found something, then realized that the "mru" key for Search Assistant:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3341562259-4036164967-2552189465-1006\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5604

... simply reflected a previous search. But if she searches, she may find something at another key.

and I did a little sleuthing inside the shell32.dll, it appears the number points not to an icon but to the string "start menu"; of course I don't know what to make of it either :) Perhaps there is a "dead link" on the Start Menu throwing that out.

5. root

root Thread Starter

I don't know. It is hard to do this long distance, and she is a real newbie. I don't want her even searching in the registry. Still trying to figure out what caused this. I did a google search and am finding a bunch of people reporting this happening....

6. root

root Thread Starter

Oh, and BTW , I am having her run Ad-Aware which is similar to Spybot...
    I just wish I had something definite to tell her, that I know would work.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ad-aware is pretty out of date. If you can get her to install, update and run Spybot, she'll get much better coverage.

8. root

root Thread Starter

Even with the latest updates and ref files?

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. root

root Thread Starter

I'll check out spybot, but still am not sure it will take care of this problem though.

Thanks

11. Mollie

Mollie

12. root

root Thread Starter

thanks...
    with the one I have, it has 21786, rather than 21787....

is it still safe to delete this?

someone, please advise

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I suppose you could save a copy someplace and see what happens. Even just leave it in the recycle bin for a while.

14. root

root Thread Starter

yeah, I was thinking I'll have her try that

15. Lardog

Lardog

Root,

If you are running XP also, you can have her send you a remote assistance request, which will allow you to connect to her local session, while she watches, and fix the problem for her, instead of trying to tell her how to do it.

This feature is a life save for all of those who have assumed the role of tech support for family and friends.

For more info on how to use remote assistance, check out the help files.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice