1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notepad & Wordpad missing from "New" context menu...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by heliotrope, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heliotrope

heliotrope Thread Starter

...and I can't figure out how to put them back.

Tweak UI won't allow it, and I'm not sure how to fix this at the Registry level.

An extensive search of the web only netted me a number of "How to remove...", but no "How to add/replace..."

All I recall doing, last evening was opening a .dat file and saving a copy of it as a text file (No, I don't remember which it was). As soon as I'd finished saving, my Notepad icon changed (fixed that) and both Notepad and Wordpad were gone from the "New" context menu.

I did come across what looked like instructions to add a "Shellnew" registry item (I know Notepad is .txt, not sure what the Wordpad extension is), but I really don't know how to do this, exactly. I've d/l, but not yet installed a program called "Coding Cake" and these are the instructions I found related to adding something to the "New" context menu:

• <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript" defer>
      Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2
      Dim fso, f, strDesDir
      Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      Set f = fso_OpenTextFile("BFastSave.ini", ForReading)
      strDesDir = f.ReadLine
      Set parentwin = external.menuArguments
      Set doc = parentwin.document
      Set sel = doc.selection
      Set rng = sel.createRange()
      Dim strTitle
      strTitle = rng.text
      if(Len(strTitle) = 0) then
      MsgBox "No Select"
      else
      Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      Dim strFilePath
      strFilePath=strDesDir+strTitle & ".htm"
      Set a = fso.CreateTextFile(strFilePath, True)
      Set HRng = parentwin.document.body.createTextRange()
      a.WriteLine(HRng.htmlText)
      a.Close
      End If
      </SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" defer>
      var parentwin = external.menuArguments;
      var doc = parentwin.document;
      var sel = doc.selection;
      var rng = sel.createRange();
      var str = new String(rng.text);
      if(str.length == 0)
      rng.text = "MY INSERTED TEXT";
      else
      rng.text = str.toUpperCase();
      </SCRIPT>

I'm just not sure if this will work, or what exactly I need to do with this...this looks like html coding, to me.

A System Restore is out of the question, at this late date. Surely there's another way...which is why I came here.

Please help

heliotrope

2. zephyr

zephyr

Download the attached file and rename the extension from .txt to .reg Then double click it and allow the Registry Import.

Attached Files:

• doc.txt
      File size:
      7.6 KB
      Views:
  3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

4. heliotrope

heliotrope Thread Starter

zephyr:

the reg key didn't work. Did a restart and everything's still the same; no Notepad or Wordpad. Thanks for your help, though.

Maybe I should try the Xteq program; Tweak UI and Tweak XP Pro were no help. I'll post back if I can get it to work, or not. Still want this "all my own fault" annoyance fixed.

I won't "die" if it's unfixable, but...grrr. LOL

heliotrope

5. zephyr

zephyr

Perhaps it's an association error of some sort, now that I review your post. It occurred after you saved a .dat file (normally no association assigned) as a text file.

Try this XP association batch file from Doug Knox. It supposedly restores all associations to the default settings. Unzip it and run the batch file it produces.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What late date?

What ever you did "last evening" can easily be reversed by doing a System Restore in XP.

Sheesh, I don't hesitate to take the easy way out.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

And you should. Because this one is very hard if not impossible to fix. I have seen it several times and even had it myself at one point. Nothing I did including a system restore fixed it. (and I tried everything. .....TweakUI, redoing the registry keys, extracting an new copy of shell32.dll. and I cannot even remember what else..Nothing worked)

I found a little known registry key but that didn't do it either. On reboot the txt entry from the new menu was gone again.

I actually had to do an overinstall for something else at one point and this was fixed along with the other problem.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I just remembered something. I was involved in a a thread at TweakXP a while back. This person had the missing txt entry too.

After trying everything with no luck, I suggested he install a new text editor as a workaround. Something like Editpad Lite.
    He did. And after that was able to use TweakUI to create the new txt context menu entry.

EDIT: So if the System Restore doesn't work, try another text editor and see if that helps.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/187313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice