1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nothing boots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by num, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. num

num Thread Starter

hello

i have a intel desktop d915pbl board and intel petium 4 processor. this morning it booted up but now. i am not sure if it is the memory the cpu or the mainboard itself. i know for a fact that the power supply is ok because i can see a greenlight on when the power supply is hooked up. the fan on the processor also wont work or run. i am wondering what can i do to fix this?

or if it is needs a new mainboard.

please help

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Sounds like your psu went bad, or the mobo. PSU first.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Fans runnig and green lights do not mean it is not a power supply problem. Often only one of the voltage rails on a power supply may be wrong or bad. A power supply is also a less expensive trouble shooting step than pulling CPU's and possibly ruining one.

As a suggestion, Disconnect everything from the power supply and motherboard such as optical drives and hard drives, sound cards, add in PCI cards and try to boot the computer with just the CPU/Video/Memory installed. If these are all good and the power supply is good you should at least be able to boot to the bios screen. If you can then add back components one at a time until you install the one that causes your system to not boot. If it is the power supply, many mom and pop shops have testers that will tell you your power supply is bad.

BTW make sure that the 4 pin P4 connector is attached properly to the motherboard as this will also cause your system to not boot.

4. num

num Thread Starter

the thing is

nothing happens when i press the power button and yes all the cables are connected correctly

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Again,PSU. Get it tested.

6. num

num Thread Starter

how?

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Or take a power supply from another working computer and try it in the one that doesn't work.

Because fans and lights come on means jack all, it can still be the PSU. And actually you want it to be the PSU beacuse its much cheaper and easier to fix then if its the motherboard thats shot.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice