1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nothing But Problems With My Dell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by milkyway4679, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milkyway4679

milkyway4679 Thread Starter

I got a Dell Inspiron 1501 a little over a year ago. In that time, I have had my hard drive crash, have gone through 2 adapter cords (one in a little more than a month) and have had it overheat regularly. It went through a period where it regularly crashed whenever it tried to sleep. Now, my battery is dying. I go to class, and within half an hour, the battery is dead. I use the laptop on power saver, and turn down the screen light so it draws less power. I checked the processes I was running, and they are definitely not a huge power draw. I'm not downloading or streaming, just using the internet and Word. So, at this point, I am wondering what is going on. Is there anything I can do at this point so that I don't have to pay 150+ dollars for a new battery? I used the battery quite regularly over the summer, and I am remembering the time seeming to be shorter on my battery life, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. I kind of want to chuck the thing through the window and go buy a Mac... So, that's my rant...I apologize, but I am desperately hoping that someone can help...can I fix anything so the battery lasts longer?! Or am I doomed, and do I have to buy a new battery?

2. arknorth

arknorth

Manufacturer : Dell
    Model : Inspiron 1501
    Standard Memory : 512 MB (removable)
    Number of sockets for upgrade : 2
    Maximum amount of memory : 2.0 GB
    Memory must be installed in set(s) of : 1
    Bus Type : ExpressCard
    CPU : AMD Turion 64 or Sempron
    Video Comments : 14.1 or 15.4 WXGA TFT. ATI R485M, video memory shared with system memory.
    Model Comments : ATI RS485M / SB600 Chipset.
    Native OS : Windows XP Home Edition

Oh hell, it's a Dell... but Macs eat their batteries as well, and they're twice the price to replace.

First, I'd check to see if your beastie has a Dell Power Management option - did you get it with the above mentioned XP Home or did it come with Vista?

Now normally, RAM wouldn't be a factor, if the computer was running a Pentium or Athlon, BUT this one's listed as having a Duron/Turon or Sempron - to ease it's straining, even on Word, I would add RAM - remember, this beastie is not only running your programs with the RAM, but since it's got an integarted video system, the RAM is also running your screen. More memory would help.

As for the battery, that would be why I would look for the Dell Power Manager (if you've got it - it would either be under the Dell tab in the Start Menu, or in the Control Panel). Usually there is a refresh option there. Also, I would check Dell's website to see if there has been any upgrades to the battery management software they put in their machines (www.support.dell.com).

Good luck!

A-N

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice