1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nothing comes on! help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jep04926, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

i have a amd k-6 550, i was putting together for my kids, i have reset the cmos(pulled the battery & everything) i dont seam to be getting power any where??????i am lost at this point i have unhooked everything and have tried to get it to come on everywhich way and nothing

2. n2gun

n2gun

Check to see if the fan on the Power Supply is turning when you turn it on? Also are you getting any beeps? Are any drive lights flashing at all?

3. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

zero to all, its like it is getting no power, but 1/2hr earlier i could boot it up

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there jep04926...

Can you remove the mother board from the case, put it on a peice of cardboard, and use just video, CPU, and memory, and see if it will power up ?

It sounds like the mother board may be shorting to the case...

5. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

i will give this a shot any other suggestions please let me know

6. n2gun

n2gun

Check the power supply connections to the board. It may be the power supply went bad also.

7. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

ok now i have power & it will boot, it will go to the windows boot screen & thats it.........if i escape back it says .......the following file is missing or corrupt: A:\HIMEN.SYS, AND THERE IS AN ERROR IN YOUR CONFIG.SYS FILE ON LINE 1 AND THEN.............
    A FILE MISSING OR CORRUPTED : A:\SS CDROM SYS THIS IS AN ERROR IN YOUR CONFIG. SYSFILE ON LINE 2
    DEVICE DRIVER NOT FOUND: 'MSCD001'
    NO VALID CDROM DEVICE DRIVERS SELECTED
    C:\>

8. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

it also doesnot seam to be recognizing my floppy, would formating the hd help reset things and if so how do i do that?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It looks like you're booting from the hard disk, but your CONFIG.SYS is pointing to the A: drive to find HIMEM.SYS. I'd start by fixing the floppy, I don't think anything wrong with the HD right now.

10. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

so what steps do i take??? i do not have the first clue on what to do next

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the floppy drive light come on, then go out during the boot processs? Or does it stay lit? If it stays lit, you have the gray cable connected backwards.

12. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

it does nothing, i see no light or anything

13. ~Candy~

As silly as it sounds, is it plugged in?

14. jep04926

jep04926 Thread Starter

yes everything is plugged, i did have it in wrong before because the light stayed on all the time

15. ~Candy~

Well, if it's plugged in (and that particular plug is connected to the power supply as well......don't laugh, it can happen....I've seen them hanging, not connected to anything, as there are extras sometimes.....) and the light doesn't come on at all, then the drive is damaged.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice