1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nothing in trashcan

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Honey2aB, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Now, here's a really good question. My friend and I were just discussing it this afternoon. After I told her to come and check out you guys with all of her questions.

Anyway, we were wondering why, when we delete something from our inboxes it doesn't show up in the trashcan. I know that on some occasions I have deleted something and then realized.."oh jeez, I shouldn't have deleted that" Went to my trashcan to retrieve it, only to find the trashcan empty. It has actually been doing this for quite a while, but I just never bothered finding out why, until now.

I'm using a Dell, Win ME, IE 6.o I also use hotmail, not OE.

Thanx.

2. scmazter

scmazter

Well, your email has its own trash can, surely u know that?
    Unfortunately it emptes the trash i think every 1-3 days.

If you use OE or any other email client, the messages are stored inside files, when u delete a message, data in that file simply gets erased.

When u look at email in hotmail, the messages arent even on your computer, but on the mail server.

3. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Yah, I do know my hotmail has its own trashcan :) It's just that I was wondering why my trash never ends up there. A few months ago,whenever I deleted something from my inbox it would go right away to the trashcan..and I would see it in there...if I wanted to restore something that I had second thoughts about. These days when I press delete it doesn't go there. It just disappears..never to be seen again. :confused:

I have both a hotmail account and an OE account open at the same time. I just discovered last nite that if you delete something in OE it also disappears in hotmail. Let me tell you I was REAL HAPPY finding that out. NOT. I was told if I wanted to get rid of the OE account I should just go to OE click on tools/accounts/highlight hotmail/press remove. If that removes OE why does it say remove hotmail?

4. scmazter

scmazter

No, you can delete a hotmail account from OE indentity, which you were told to do.

Heres how the whole trashcan works:
    Hotmail server AUTOMATICALLY clears trash can anywhere from one a day, to once in three days.

OE synchronizes (i hope i spelt that right) with your hotmail accounts automatically. Anything you do in hotmail, will happen in OE, and likewise.

However, if u havent visited the trash can in OE for a few days, and click it, u will c emails that were deleted on the hotmail server still there. However, as soon as u click the trashcan, it starts the synchronizing process, and u have only a few seconds, before the trashcan in OE looks like the one in hotmail.

5. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Don't worry. My deer in the headlights look will hopefully start going away. :D It's just none of this was ever explained to me before. Someone came here when I first got the computer, said pick a hotmail name, I did, and I have an account. I never questioned. Same with a lot of other things. When I phone Dell tech support they just say do this, that and the other. I did. Problems fixed for time being. I don't really like to talk to Dell anyway as the techs are REALLY DIFFICULT to understand. Dell moved their tech support to India. Most of the time I don't understand what they are saying and ask them to repeat continously or they don't understand what I am saying.

One time I was getting a bit frustrated and the tech told me to hang up the phone and go lay down. :rolleyes: aaaaaahhhhhhh

We also have extended warranty on this thing and when I told the tech to send someone to check it out...as there were so many things going wrong...the tech told me NO! The service person they would send has no idea how to fix the computer, so forget about asking for any service help. Once again...aaaaaahhhhhhh :mad: :mad: :mad:

I deleted the hotmail account from OE. Never use it anyway. And just to make you insane. I don't even know where the trashcan is for OE. I obviously know where my hotmail one is. Right there on the left hand side underneath junk/inbox. But like I said before it's just strange that the deleted mail would always show up there the second I deleted it from the hotmail inbox and now it doesn't. I think hotmail deletes every 4-5 days. Well, now I don't have to worry about OE. I had forgotten I even had it to tell you the truth. I haven't been in there for at least a year. I just remembered that I had it when someone here mentioned it.

Thanx for your patience, and sorry about my little vent there.

6. scmazter

scmazter

Yop NP.
    Yeh lol, I h8 tech support over the phone too.
    They sit on their *** all day, when somebody calls, they explain the problem, and the "tech support" asks them to hold, or even they'll say they will call back, and then they get a bunch of computer books, and do their best to find the solution, which is usually not there for more complex questions, which could only be solved by experiece.

Not 2 mentions tech books go outa date in 1 year lol.

7. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

When Dell had their original tech support in Ontario, I think it was, you had to sit on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes. I even hung up on some occasions, and just lived with whatever problem I had at the time.

Now that they moved it to India, there is no wait time on the phone, BUT you have a heck of a time understanding what is told to you. They even put you on hold a few times during the conversation for a few minutes to "check with my supervisor". Crap. I hate Dell. I hate their tech support. And anyone thinking of getting a Dell should change their minds and get ANYTHING else. Their so called extended warranty only extends till they get the cheque in their extended hands. After that you can just bugger off. :mad:

I'm done :D

8. scmazter

scmazter

Or mabye, all people should juz become computer techies lol :D

9. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

:) Yah, wouldn't that be nice. BUT, until then I guess you have to put up with our tedious questions...something like my trashcan question...which I haven't fully grasped :rolleyes: but, oh well.

I guess if we all knew what we were doing you wouldn't have anything to do in your spare time..like come here all the time :D :rolleyes:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice