Nothing is working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mlum

My wife's computer is having problems. Nothing on her desk top will open and if it does it will take forever and it will not respond once it opens. I tried to use Ad-Aware, Spyboy and EasyCleaner but it either won't open or won't respond once it opens so I did it in Safe mode and I was able to run it. I tried to remove items in the startup menu but when I restart, it appears again. I need help.

bonk

Banned
Welcome,

Can you tell us a bit more about the PC like how much memory it has......hard drive free space...make and model......

And does it have a Anti-Virus Program on that PC?

Mlum

It has an anti virus program and I will get back to you with the PC information when I get home from work tonight.

Mlum

Wife's computer:
HP pavilion a350w
celeron 2.70ghz
760 mb ram
30 gb hard drive
12.7 gb free space

bonk

Banned
The best way is to post a HijackThis log and let an Log Expert to look at it for you.

Download Hijack This to your desktop
  • Extract Files
  • Open the file and click on the Hijack.exe
  • It will open and use the default path
  • Check do you wish an Icon
  • Click on Icon and choose "scan system and save a logfile" usually in notepad
  • Copy and Paste the logfile in your next post
  • Using Ctrl+A to copy All and Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

Mlum

I can't get on the internet to download HIjack This. Like I said nothing will open and when it does, it just freezes. Things will open in safe mode so I will run the chkdsk when I get home this evening.

Does anything appear to be popping up at all , anything that is out of the ordinary ? Even if it is not for long and you can exit out of it .

Mlum

Everything takes very long to pop open. Even clicking the start takes a long time to open and when anything does open, it will not respond, the computer just locks up. I would have to use to power button to turn it off.

bonk

Banned
How does it act in Safe Mode

1. Restart your computer.
2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

Hi.

If you are on broadband, and are connected to the internet using a network cable running from your pc, (not usb) You can boot into safe mode with networking, (press f8 as your pc is starting up) then your pc will connect to the internet. You can then download HijackThis, run the program & post a log.

If you cannot do this, download it on another pc & copy it to a cd or flash drive, then install & run it, then post a log.

Without this log, it will be extremely hard for anyone to help you. (not impossible though).

Hi Bonk.
Is it you I have noticed on G2G uni. Log 6?

If so, Im doing the same thing but on the next set.

Nope, what you are saying has happened to me before, but you will need the Microsoft Restore CD.

Go to start, run, and type in 'cmd'. then in the black box type in sfc/scannow. this process may take a while but will repair all files that are corrupt or missing on ure computer.

another thing i would recommend is downloading and installing crap cleaner to the computer. it can be found at ccleaner.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online