1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nothing is working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mlum, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mlum

Mlum Thread Starter

My wife's computer is having problems. Nothing on her desk top will open and if it does it will take forever and it will not respond once it opens. I tried to use Ad-Aware, Spyboy and EasyCleaner but it either won't open or won't respond once it opens so I did it in Safe mode and I was able to run it. I tried to remove items in the startup menu but when I restart, it appears again. I need help.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

Can you tell us a bit more about the PC like how much memory it has......hard drive free space...make and model......

And does it have a Anti-Virus Program on that PC?

3. Mlum

Mlum Thread Starter

It has an anti virus program and I will get back to you with the PC information when I get home from work tonight.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Ok Dokee

5. Mlum

Mlum Thread Starter

Wife's computer:
    HP pavilion a350w
    celeron 2.70ghz
    760 mb ram
    30 gb hard drive
    12.7 gb free space

6. Mlum

Mlum Thread Starter

bump

7. bonk

bonk Banned

The best way is to post a HijackThis log and let an Log Expert to look at it for you.

Download Hijack This to your desktop
    • Extract Files
    • Open the file and click on the Hijack.exe
    • It will open and use the default path
    • Check do you wish an Icon
    • Click on Icon and choose "scan system and save a logfile" usually in notepad
    • Copy and Paste the logfile in your next post
    • Using Ctrl+A to copy All and Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

8. zbd21

zbd21

You could run a chkdsk /f in the run box in the mean time.

9. Mlum

Mlum Thread Starter

I can't get on the internet to download HIjack This. Like I said nothing will open and when it does, it just freezes. Things will open in safe mode so I will run the chkdsk when I get home this evening.

10. Zoom_Stat21

Zoom_Stat21

Does anything appear to be popping up at all , anything that is out of the ordinary ? Even if it is not for long and you can exit out of it .

11. Mlum

Mlum Thread Starter

Everything takes very long to pop open. Even clicking the start takes a long time to open and when anything does open, it will not respond, the computer just locks up. I would have to use to power button to turn it off.

12. bonk

bonk Banned

How does it act in Safe Mode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

13. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi.

If you are on broadband, and are connected to the internet using a network cable running from your pc, (not usb) You can boot into safe mode with networking, (press f8 as your pc is starting up) then your pc will connect to the internet. You can then download HijackThis, run the program & post a log.

If you cannot do this, download it on another pc & copy it to a cd or flash drive, then install & run it, then post a log.

Without this log, it will be extremely hard for anyone to help you. (not impossible though).

14. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi Bonk.
    Is it you I have noticed on G2G uni. Log 6?

If so, Im doing the same thing but on the next set.

15. techy689

techy689

Nope, what you are saying has happened to me before, but you will need the Microsoft Restore CD.

Go to start, run, and type in 'cmd'. then in the black box type in sfc/scannow. this process may take a while but will repair all files that are corrupt or missing on ure computer.

another thing i would recommend is downloading and installing crap cleaner to the computer. it can be found at ccleaner.com

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!