Nothing Loads

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

padutch

Running win 98 on a 400 with 128 meg of ram. My friend can connect to the web , the little green monitors come up in the tool bar and it shows it is connected. After it is connected he gets nothing. No pages load. No email. Absolutly nothing. This occures in IE and Netscape. It isn't his ISP as he can hook up his 300 and everything is OK . Well anyone have any imput?
DUTCH

Max19

Account Disabled
Verify that all the dial-up networking settings are correct.

Bryan

Bryan
First have your friend check for multiple copies of the file wsock32.dll on their system.

Start>Find>Files, key in wsock32.dll and press enter. How many copies are found? Rename any that are not in the System folder at c:\windows\system to wsock32.old

Restart the PC and then try browsing

padutch

Thanks all. Will have him check and get back to you.
DUTCH
Anything he should look for?

Bryan

Bryan
If you don't find dups or the rename doesn't do it, then I'd try extracting a new copy of the wsock32.dll file.

Start>Run, key in SFC and press enter. At the bottom of the dialog box select "Extract one file from the installation disk". Now key in wsock32.dll and click on Start. Insert your W98 CD or obviously skip this step if your W98CD is loaded on the hardrive. If the "Restore From" box is empty, click on Browse and point it to the Win98 folder on the W98 CD in your CDRom drive or if you have no W98 CD try c:\windows\options\cabs. The "Save File To" should already be defaulted to c:\windows\system. Click on OK to restore it. Follow the prompts and restart the PC.

If that still does no good, then assuming they have their W98 CD or the CD is loaded on their hardrive, I'd have them uninstall and then reinstall "Dial-Up Networking". You'll find it under Start> Settings>ControlPanel>Add/RemovePrograms>WindowsSetup>Communications. When that's done, rerun the installation program for their ISP connection.

Max19

Account Disabled
The general rule with troubleshooting is to start with the simplest solution first. Before extracting and replacing system files, check your internet connection settings FIRST. If you don't know what they're supposed to be, call your ISP and ask or check the documentation they gave you.

If all the settings are correct, continue with the other suggestions posted here.

padutch

Max 19
That was the first thing done. Sat the two PC's side by side and checked from one to the other . THe one works so we know that is right.
DUTCH

Bryan

Bryan
Max I've held off up to this point in other posts and don't take this the wrong way but please do myself and the others here at this site a big favor and try to refrain from lecturing us on the do's and don't of tech support with CAPS throw in for added emphasis. Believe it or not before you appeared here, we made out just fine. Much to your chagrin, we have people modify their registries, extract files, change Windows settings, etc... quite often here on a daily basis and I don't recall any PCs that ended up as toast. We're quite aware of the correct way to do things. While I agree that checking the DUN settings is a good idea, my past experience is that it's doubtful that's the cause unless the DNS is somehow setup incorrectly but I've rarely if ever found that to be the case.

BTW, had you phrased it this way, it wouldn't come off as lecturing.

"Those suggestions are good ones but if I were you I suggest you check the DUN settings first before going any further ...."

padutch

thanks for the imput all. THis will take a couple of days, my friend is a tad slow but for 80 years old he dose pretty good. One other drawback is that he lives almost 3000 miles from me and I am trying to help him from here. He had a man from his local PC store tell him his bios was fried and this was without even looking at the PC, wanted to sell him another PC. I told him to wait a bit.
Thanks again.
DUTCH

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online