1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nothing 'Net related will work!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by NinaKoura, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

One problem is shot down, and another arises. x.x;

Okay, I have Windows 98 SE, and along with it a D-Link Wireless card that has been working flawlessly...although I'm pretty sure the problem doesn't have to do anything with the card. Earlier today, in order to fix a thumbnail viewing problem, I downgraded my IE to version 4.0, and then upgraded it back to 6.1 (I think; whichever's the newest version). It was working fine for awhile, and then all of a sudden, IE wouldn't work. I would try to connect to a webpage, and suddenly, I'd get an illegal operation message! So, I installed the Opera browser just in case...and as soon as it tried to connect, I got another illegal operation message! Upon trying a few other programs used to connect to the internet, such as AOL, Bittorrent, etc., they all froze and gave me an illegal operation message and shut down as well! So not only can I connect to internet explorer...I can't get on the internet at all!

My wireless card says that I'm connected to the network just fine and everything, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. And I've downgraded my IE to 4.0 once more, and even tried repairing it via the "Add/Remove Programs" menu, but that doesn't work either, so it can't be IE. Can anyone help me with this overly frustrating ordeal?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you get an "illegal operation" error, there is a "details" tab. It would help to know what that says, particularly the module and address info on the first two lines.

When an error occurs across two browsers, it is either a system file, or a problem with the registries tcp/ip protocols.

And it's not clear if you are getting constant errors or just some. How did you install Opera after the problem, and are you on the computer now?

Can you download, unzip and and provide a copy/paste of a HijackThis Scanlog?

http://www.net-integration.net/tools/hijackthis.html

There is also a direct download here:

http://computercops.biz/downloads-file-328.html

Also I would recommend you download, and copy over if necessary, the "lspfix" application. Do a "default fix" for now.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Reinstalling tcp/ip and dialup networking is another possible fix for this:

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/windows_9x_nt/dialers/dun_1.3/5289.psc.html

3. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I'm not on the computer now, nor does the computer that I'm on have a floppy disk drive that I could put the HijackThis log on. I know that's probably going to make the situation quite a bit harder.

I do, however, have the details for the error for IE:
    "IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:006b0e56".

It's a constant error that happens on all internet-accessing programs, thus not allowing me to get onto any internet connection applications at all. After the problem, I installed Opera with the Java option that it offered, but even then, nothing worked.

When I *did* run HijackThis, however, I noticed something odd...something about a "lspak.dll" appearing four times and having something to do with the Winsock LSP. I'm not sure if this is anything noteworthy or not...just thought I should add.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes it is, that's a definite Hijack. If you can get lspfix on the system, run it, move all instances of lspak.dll and cdlsp.dll (they are often found together), to the "remove" window, select "I know what I am doing" and then "Finish"

If the computer you are on now has a CD burner or you can get access to one, you can burn the files and run them from a CD.

By the way, I should add that HijackThis should not be used to try to "fix" those entries.

5. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

I've got LSPfix and I've removed lspak.dll, and the illegal operation window has gone away...now I just can't connect to any websites with IE!

On LSPfix, there are three more entries:
    rnr20.dll (DNS Name Space Provider)
    msafd.dll (Protocal Handler)
    rsvpsp.dll (Protocol Handler)

They're all under the "Keep" portion, though. Would these have anything to do with it?

6. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

O_O Um...nevermind. It works again! Thank you again SO SO SO much for your help! I'll be donating soon, promise~! =D

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

:cool:

Fyi, the other ones are ok.

However, now give us a HijackThis Scanlog using the latest version. This was just to get you back online. There is probably more cleaning to do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice