Nothing on the Device Manager

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jkoom

I can't see anything in my Device Manager for some reason and I need it to configure to make my ipod work (God I hate these things).

Can anyone tell me why I can't see anything?

What OS are you running? XP Home or XP Pro or none of the above?

Do me a favour before we continue troubleshooting. Check the following things:

• We've established the fact that the device manager is empty.
  • Under Control Panel, click Network Connections. Is that empty too?
  • Try to type in an internet address without http:// infront of it. Are you forced to wait about 30 seconds before the website loads?
  • Click on My Computer. Do you experience a strange delay for about 15-30s with a flashlight?
  • Right click on a document you have saved in a folder. Hover your mouse over Send To... Does your computer seem to lock up for about 15-30s before the Send To menu appears?
  • Open up Word and create a new document. Try to save it using File, Save As. Click on the Save As drop down menu. Does your computer seem to lock up for another 15-30s before the drop down menu appears?

If you answered "yes" to most of those questions, then you my friend are in the same boat I was in a couple months ago. I had all those things happen to me.

I noticed that the problems began happening after I removed some spyware. Well, it turns out that removing the spyware caused the problem.

You see, the above symptoms are caused by ContextPlus/ Apropos spyware. Removing it, in my case, allowed the problems to show up.

If your running XP Home, then I can pretty much guarantee the following steps should fix everything. XP Pro users have tried the following with limited success:

Printing out these instructions is a good idea.

• Download "aproposfix.exe" from http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/aproposfix.exe
  • Save that file to the desktop but DO NOT run it yet.
  • Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
  • Double click on aproposfix.exe from your desktop.
  • An aproposfix folder is created on your desktop. Double click on "RunThis.bat" from that folder.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Reboot back to normal mode and post the log file of aproposfix here.

jkoom

Log of AproposFix v1

Running from directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Desktop\aproposfix

Registry entries found:

No service found!

Removing hidden folder:
No folder found!

Deleting files:

Backing up files:
Done!

Removing registry entries:

REGEDIT4

Done!

Finished!

Umm.. that's it...

I assume it didn't find anything.

You're device manager still empty? Is that your only problem or are you having any of the other symptoms that I mentioned in my list?

What OS are you running?

jkoom

I'm running on XP home.

My Computer takes like 30 seconds to load. SO does the drop down and the send to menu.
BUt in Network Connections I have an icon that say internet connection.

I'm convinced that you have that malware on your system. I'm running XP Home just like you, and the aproposfix.exe fixed my problem. You ran it in SAFE MODE, right?

Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition (Google it), update the latest definitions, and run a full system scan and see what turns up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online