1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nothing recognizes the CD in my drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sherrypa, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sherrypa

Sherrypa Thread Starter

My system recognizes I have 2 CD Rom drives (E & F),, one is a burner (this one is working fine) & the other is just a drive - (ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE - this one is not). I went into properties/general & it says the device is working properly. However, when I put a data disc in & attempt to access it, it says 'the device is not accessible', the device is not ready. The message is a Windows Explorer message. I attempted to use Norton to diagnose the problem, but it to doesn't recognize there's a disc in the drive. Any ideas on what could be wrong. I would really like to be able to use both drives at the same time. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sherry

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried more than one disk? Have you cleaned the drive lately? Has it worked in the past?

3. Sherrypa

Sherrypa Thread Starter

Yes, I tried that also. I put a LASER-MATIC LASER LENSE CLEANER into the drive. The light on the drive blinked on & off while I heard swishing. After about 10 seconds both the light went off & I no longer heard noice coming from the drive. I was supposed to hear voice instructions, but again nothing. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Sherry

4. slipe

slipe

Go back to the drive in device manager and highlight it. Select “Remove” at the bottom of the device manager box. OK and reboot. It will reload the drivers for the CD-ROM.

You didn’t answer the question about whether it worked before. Did it quit when you installed any other hardware of software – especially the CD recorder?

5. Sherrypa

Sherrypa Thread Starter

Actually it's a very complicated answer. Yes, it did work, but I had installed software that would enable me to dial in from home & work (I'm a programmer for an insurance co) and it still worked, but something went wrong (I believe my husband was fiddling around with something & the ability to dial in stopped working. In order to get this working my nephew who is a computer technician by trade had to reformat my hard drive & re-install everything. I believe it still worked. A month or so went by & again I had a problem with dialing in to work (this is critical since I'm on call 24/7 & it's a long ride at 2 am), so now embarresed to ask my nephew to fix it, a co-worker, who claims to know everything there is & who is constantly upgrading his/his family's pc, offered to re-install windows for me. Since then everything has worked wonderfully, except for the drive. When I questioned him, he said they can just stop working. I'm not sure I buy it or really want to replace the drive if my system still recognizes it. I think there may be something not attached, or set up wrong. However, I'm done some nasty damage to my pc before & am afraid to just play with the settings if I don't know what I'm doing.
    I am going to try your suggestion now & I'll let you know what happens.
    Thank you,
    Sherry

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice