1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nothing Will Start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MikeA01730, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeA01730

MikeA01730 Thread Starter

I have a problem with my daughter's computer that I can't figure out how to fix. The problem is that after running a while (typically several hours), nothing new will start. It doesn't matter what, as long as it's a windows (not command line) program. But actually the programs DO start: the problem is that they don't display anything! E.g. if I try to start notepad, I see the hourglass for a few seconds, and the task manager shows notepad.exe. It uses a bit of CPU time at first, and then settles down to 0% CPU and ~4MB memory, just as it does when it's working correctly. But nothing ever shows on the screen: the Notepad window doesn't open and there's no entry in the Start bar. This continues to happen if I try notepad again, a web browser, or anything else. If I try to restart, I get lots of messages asking me permission to kill things (XP components and unnamed things and the things I started) that aren't shutting down normally. Sometimes the shutdown works, and sometimes I have to cycle the power. When I start again all is well for several hours until the problem starts again.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 AV, and it finds no problems. I ran sfc, which looked like it replaced a few files, and I've uninstalled anything that my daughter installed but doesn't use. She typically uses Yahoo IM, Outlook Express, and IE, and not much else.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Claymore

Claymore

If you the Alt+Tab do the "invisible" programs show?

3. MikeA01730

Claymore,

When I use Alt-Tab, the phantom programs are not visible.

This morning I rebooted around 10:00 AM, used IE a little, and left the machine idle for the rest of the day. When my daughter tried to use Outlook Express around 4:30 PM, nothing would start. I had to reboot.

Mike

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hello Mike,

Very wierd. I was thinking that maybe the windows have gone off-screen, but the they would show in the Taskbar and in Alt+Tab.

You could try this:

Go to Start => Run and type in (or copy/paste):

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

5. MikeA01730

Claymore,

I tried your suggestion last night. The problem is back today.

Any other ideas? I'm not really anxious to blow everything away, but maybe I should just reinstall XP & start from scratch.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This site offers a solution.

The problem is not quite the same as yours, but running the VBS script will do no harm.

7. MikeA01730

WhitPhil,

I ran the script last night. The problem is back this morning.

Thanks,
    Mike

8. techychick

techychick

Is this a laptop or desktop?

How old is it, has it been upgraded?

9. MikeA01730

techychick,

This is an HP Pavilion a500y desktop PC with 2.6 GHZ Intel Celeron processor, 512 MB memory, 160GB disk, integrated graphics, and XP Home OS. It was purchased in April 2004. No hardware has been upgraded. All XP service packs and updates have been installed. Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 is used. There's over 100GB free disk space. There are no other problems with the machine that I know of.

Mike

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!