1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nothing works on the desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by macannaster, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macannaster

macannaster Thread Starter

hi,

This happens about 90% of the time when I have booted win xp (sp2) on my laptop: The start menu will pop up for me, but when i hover the mouse over it, it doesn't register this at all, it is inaccessable past the initial menu. Also, all forders and files, apart from direct exe files, like the one for my browser, are also innaccessable, I double click, the hourglass on the pointer shows some activity, and then, nothing. To shut down the computer I have to use ctrl+alt+del. Any suggestions/answers to this problem much appreciated.(y)

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. Event3horizon

Event3horizon Banned

try running in safe mode to see if same issues happen and report back here if they do or if they go away. Start your computer and before you see the XP load screen press F8 multiple times until you see windows advanced boot options menu then select safe mode, the windows xp, then let it load.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice