1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nothings happening

Discussion in 'Networking' started by playme123, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

Im trying to install a pci wireless card into my computer, I have installed the drivers but whenever I insert the card nothing happens when pc is turned on ie no beep, blank screen please help as im about to throw card out of window:eek:

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

I'm assuming this is a desktop pc and not a laptop. Do any fans run or can you hear anything when you turn the pc on? Or does it just get no power at all? Did you double check and make sure the card is securely seated and you could try putting the card in a different pci slot. Also what happens when you take the card totally out of the computer and try to startup?

3. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

Theres four available slots and have tried it in them all the fans start then stop and get no beep from motherboard, when inserting have made sure the card is seated in the slot, cant understand why this aint working im pulling me hair out here

Also its a desktop and when take the card out and start up everything is fine

4. ViprXX

ViprXX

what are your computer specs and what is the wireless card your trying to install?

5. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

The wireless card is a edup 54mbps wirelss lan card, the pc is pretty old will have a look at it for specs all I know is its a rm model

6. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

heres some more
    os xp pro
    system name :award
    system model: awrdacpi
    system type x86 based pc
    proceesor x family 6 model 8 stepping 3 genuine intel
    ram 256mb

7. ViprXX

ViprXX

hmm. sounds like it could be an irq problem. is the video card onboard or is it an addon pci card? (or agp, but probably not since you said its an old pc).

8. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

yes its an add on

9. ViprXX

ViprXX

since you say the video card is add-on and if its pci, (without the new wireless card in)try putting the video card in a different pci slot and see if the computer starts up fine. if it does then put the wireless card where the video card used to be. as always, when working inside a pc make sure to ground yourself with an anti-static foot pad or anti-static wrist band or before you touch anything inside the pc make sure to touch a part of the pc case or psu to equalize yourself to the pc and just be careful handling the cards. Just a precaution lol.

good luck

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice