1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

notification when email does NOT come ?!?!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Ricardo8487, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ricardo8487

Ricardo8487 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    no idea whether this a good place to post this question. If you think
    it is not I'd very much appreciate suggestions for other places to ask
    ;) :

I need an online solution (webmail or else?) to send an email when
    another email does not come after a certain period of time. It should
    not be a software on my computer.

thanx in advance!
    :)

2. Ricardo8487

Probably, my question wasn't clear enough.

I have a computer that is constantly running. I can make the computer send an email every 10 minutes or so, saying that it's still active - let's call it an activity-email. I can't reliably make it send an email before it crashes - that would be an alert-email, cuz it might crash before it sends the alert-email. When I'm on vacation I only want to be bothered (sent an email to my cell-phone) when it stops running. I don't wanna always have to check whether activity-mails are still coming in. So, I would need some webmail-provider or something similar to send an alert-mail to me when it hasn't received an activity-mail in the last, say, hour or two.

I think, it's like the negative of a regular specified forwarding routing which would forward or notify if a certain mail comes in. Instead it should notify if a certain mail does NOT come in.
    I know it's a bit unusual but it would be extremely useful to me :)

3. valis

valis Moderator

I don't know of any way to do that. I would imagine that there are ways to check to see if the machine is on, but I can't think of any to send an email if a certain email is not received. And the only way I can think of to make this happen would be from another pc in your possession, something like pinging hourly and kicking out a warning if the response was null.

But I don't think that is going to solve your issue; frankly, I know of no way to send an email if an email is NOT received.

4. Ricardo8487

Thanx valis,

yeah, a solution with another pc might be what I end up doing. Of course it would be more elegant to do without it. On another forum somebody just suggested pingdom.com to me.
    I'm not sure though whether pingdom can check whether a certain vb.net application is active or not.

5. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Could you not use a 'server status script' and find some way of automatically checking this periodically...?

6. Ricardo8487

Hey John,

thanx for your suggestion. Since the application that's running is not a website I'm not sure whether a server status script would help. Also for that I guess I'd need another pc which I try to avoid.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice