1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Notifications not coming

Discussion in 'Site Help & Feedback' started by Alex Ethridge, Aug 10, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I rely on e-mail notifications of additions to subscribed threads; those notices have been unreliable at times for almost a year now. There will be periods that notices will be consistent for weeks; then they will suddenly be sporadic for a while--or none at all.

Is anyone else having this problem?

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Mike Administrator

Might want to ask your ISP about turning down Spam filtering, or adding us to your white list. Also, you can try a free email account from a site like http://mail.yahoo.com/

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I had the same problem with my Mexico ISP, prodigy.net.mx --- sometimes they would make it thru, sometimes not. I called them and they claimed they were not filtering, but since I changed my forum email address to a gmail account, no problema ;)

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Charter says they don't do filtering. With their denying this, I guess I'm just stuck.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Get a GMAIL account, they have POP access, as well as a email notification utility.

6. ~Candy~

I have a friend who works for Charter, I can check with her :D (just sent her an email, hopefully it won't be blocked :eek: )

If you need a Gmail invite, I'm sure we have enough to go around :)

7. benaround3

benaround3

I just joined the forum and I didn't get notification of my first three replies, as far as I can see I'm set up to get notified, the odd thing is I always get notification from another big forum I send to, never missed one, is there any way I could have my settings checked, as there are some areas in "options" I'm not sure about, eg in my subscribed threads list the thread I started is displayed but there is a check box Labeled "instant" under "notification" which, every time I check it and enter or reload, re-sets to unchecked. Is that significant?

8. ~Candy~

Are you using a hotmail address? Or AOL? Sometimes they filter heavy, and sometimes people report things as spam to them by accident.

9. benaround3

benaround3

Hi
    No, I'm using my server, ntlworld, which does receive notifications from other forums. Should I just carry on regardless and see if it starts to notify later, as the other people that wrote in seem to do?

10. ~Candy~

Hmmmm...I checked your profile earlier, you were using a hotmail address here. Did you just now change it?

11. benaround3

benaround3

Well that's strange, I had a hotmail address there? Sorry if I misled you then, i don't even remember changing it!
    But I'm getting notifications now, so everything seems to be sorted
    Thanks for your help

12. ~Candy~

Great, thanks for the follow-up.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/389372