1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

novell netware 4.83sp1 and XP PRO login

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TJT, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TJT

TJT Thread Starter

Two days ago when I would startup my computer (XP Pro) I "was" prompted with the novell login box (4.83 sp1) to enter my password. The username, server, context and tree boxes are already populated and correct.

Okay, now the interesting part. Now when I start my computer I first get the Windows login box with "administrator" in the username box and the password box empty. Now I enter this information, then I get a Novell login Splash screen and then I get a novell login screen with the username set to administrator, the password is blank, the tree and context are correct, but the server box is blank. I have to manually change the username, enter the password (just like always) and enter the correct server info. Another problem that I am sure is connected to this is the fact that when I ctrl + alt + del to "lock the workstation" in the past it would go to the novell "this workstation has been locked and can only be opened by blah blah blah" but now its the windows login and the name administrator is in the username box? what happened and how do I fix it? Thank you for your help and please email me with further questions.

2. marioh

marioh

It sounds like your network provider order got screwed up and is starting up the Microsoft Windows Network instead of the Novell Netware Services.

I've never used XP, but under Win2K, there is an Advanced Settings option where you can control the Network Provider Order (where you can make Novell the primary provider, which is how it was originally). Under 2000, you would get to it by right clicking and selecting properties for My Network Places on the desktop. The Network and Dial Up Connections window will come up and there is an Advanced entry on the Menu bar, under which is Advanced Settings. You would then go to the Provider Order tab and move Netware Services to be the first entry under Network Providers.

Reinstalling the Novell Client should also resolve the problem.

3. TJT

TJT Thread Starter

thanks for the input, but the settings are already set to what you recommended and I have reinstalled the client and I still have the same problem.

4. marioh

marioh

Have you tried to reset the network provider order by selecting the Microsoft one and moving it to the top of the list, rebooting, and then switching it back to have Netware first ?
    That's the only other simple thing that I can think of that may resolve your problem.
    Otherwise, unless someone knows a better way, you may have to re-do your networking setup(which I wouldn't recommend unless you're the one who setup the networking in the first place).

5. pcnate

pcnate

It is not just XP Home - I have windows XP Pro and the latest Novell client and am trying the same thing and I am having the exact same problem. It seems like such a simple thing that Microsoft did not include or make easy to implement. I am trying to set up 30 school computers and we can't have 1600 XP different profiles on each computer, yet we need the novell login to come up for the students to log in.

6. Rockn

Rockn

For some reason you have to have the same account and password on the workstation for it to be able to log onto the Novell server correctly. Profiles will transfer to the server if you set the workstation up to use profiles.

7. Rikku

Rikku

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice