1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Novell Server Transfer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheCGTech, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheCGTech

TheCGTech Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm faced with a tricky task. I was just contracted by a company and they are running a Novell 6 server. I have talked them into upgrading to a Windows 2003 Standard Edition Server, is there an easy way to transfer all the files from the Novell Server over to the Windows Server, I would like to keep their directories everything set up like they have it because it is all scattered out and the employees know where everything is located, and I'm sure I would confuse them if I went organizing everything.

If you have an answer please respond with the best way to do this. Thanks alot!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well it will depend on what the role is for Windows 2003 is. You may want to have the Novell machine to be set as a file server.

3. TheCGTech

TheCGTech Thread Starter

The Novell Server is going to be trashed, they want completely rid of it. The Windows Server is going to take total control over everything.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Apparently they don't have a Competent Netware Admin in the area otherwise I would have talked them into keeping the m Netware server.

You could have probably started searching Microsoft for this topic because they got lots of technical articles about it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/sfnmig.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sfn/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/migrate/novell/default.mspx

When I was in School 5 years ago, Microsoft had a utility you could run to Migrate from Netware to Windows. I can't remember if it moved all the files and Directories though. It worked pretty good. We tried it out on some test servers. I can't remember the name of that utility but I am sure you will stumble upon it while reading some of those links above. I think it is the second link. They must have renamed the utility because it wasn't called that before.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would agree on this. Novell is probably better security wise. :)

As for my post earlier, I'm curious as to the role of the W2K3 server. Is it going to have the role of everything like DHCP / DNS / WINS / File / Email / Application and roughly how many users and the usage.

:) (I'm doing M.I.S in school and have worked on proposing on networks :D)

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Is it going to have the role of everything like DHCP / DNS / WINS / File / Email / Application and roughly how many users and the usage

I think the answer is "2" thats it just plain "2" for the entire question!

Sorry its Friday! You guys are gonna have fun with me today.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    lol (y) Friday is FUNday! Check out Onsite calling JW a rude name! :eek:

9. TheCGTech

TheCGTech Thread Starter

It will be used for DHCP/DNS/File/Username Management / I believe that covers it.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You may want to use the novell machine (whether if it has Novell on it or not) as a file server. Personally i wouldn't put too many roles on one server. JIMHO.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Just don't forget when going to AD all the DNS stuff this can be a killer if not setup right :)

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    And DHCP! :eek: Trust me I had issues with this in my class troubleshooting DNS and DHCP.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice