1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Novell Startup Error Message

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cmcnally, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

My work computer recently started displaying the following error message on startup: "Problem: Install Failed. MSI returned error code: 1612." I googled around and found this Technical Information Document from Novell. It seems to have the answer I'm looking for, but I'm afraid the jargon is a bit beyond my capability. Can anyone translate the fix into some concrete steps I can take to get rid of this error? I forwarded it to my company IT guy, but he's busy and this probably isn't a priority. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. cammj

cammj

NAL is the Novell Application Launcher, the thing that your IT guy uses to distribute applications to your desktop.

What's probably causing this problem is an MSI that he/she has set to distribute to your workstation on login. There's several reasons why these wont load, that your IT person should be able to figure out.

It's most probably a permissions error to the MSI file, but I couldnt say for sure without more info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!