Novice building a computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dividertabs

Hi, I'm trying to assemble a computer. I'm following the guide at http://shsc.info/PCPartsPickingGuide, but I am still not sure about a few things.

First, the motherboard I selected doesn't list anything about an IDE connector--only P ATA, SATA I, and SATA II. Does that mean I can't use a IDE burner? Is it compatible with a SATA150 hard drive?

Also, I am not sure about how to tell whether the case and power supply bundle can fit everything or not (all I know is that the motherboard and case are both ATX). I also can't figure out whether I can power the video card--I checked to make sure there is enough amperage for everything, but I notice the video card requires a "6-pin PCI-E power connector".

everything will fit fine...u can use any ide burners ...u have sata I and sata II on that mobo.... i think u should look at the antec sonata II case, it has the bigger power supply (450w) that 350 in your case might be a tad small...what video card have u chosen...any pci express will work fine with the msi board

dividertabs

Thanks. I'm a bit wary of that Sonata II case--there are several comments on newegg about the power supply not fitting into video cards (I will be using an e-6800GS)

dividertabs said:
Hi, I'm trying to assemble a computer. I'm following the guide at http://shsc.info/PCPartsPickingGuide, but I am still not sure about a few things.

First, the motherboard I selected doesn't list anything about an IDE connector--only P ATA, SATA I, and SATA II. Does that mean I can't use a IDE burner? Is it compatible with a SATA150 hard drive?

Also, I am not sure about how to tell whether the case and power supply bundle can fit everything or not (all I know is that the motherboard and case are both ATX). I also can't figure out whether I can power the video card--I checked to make sure there is enough amperage for everything, but I notice the video card requires a "6-pin PCI-E power connector".
hopefully your psu has this 6pin power plug, 350 is marginal but it is an Antec at least, your mobo is 24pin, as is your psu, it also has the 4pin connection near the cpu socket on it from the pics, your mob has ide plugs, floppy drive plug plus sata plugs so your good in that regard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online